What maximal load can be lifted from a depth of 1000 m ?

In summary, a steel rope consisting of 100 rods with a diameter of 2 mm and an allowable rope stress of 130 N/mm^2 can lift a maximum load by calculating F(rope) = 100 * F(rod) and subtracting the weight of 1000 m of rope. It is important to consider the depth and medium in which the load is being lifted. The number of rods is not given and must be determined in order to find the maximum load that the steel rope can lift.
teng125
A steel rope consists of 100 rods. The diameter of each rod is 2 mm. The allowable rope stress is 130 N/mm^2.

what maximal load can be lifted from a depth of 1000 m ?

i use 100*130 N/mm^2 = 4*F(max) / pi * (4)

in order to find F(max).Am i correct??how can i use the length given??

thanx

Physics news on Phys.org
teng125 said:
A steel rope consists of 100 rods. The diameter of each rod is 2 mm. The allowable rope stress is 130 N/mm^2.

what maximal load can be lifted from a depth of 1000 m ?

i use 100*130 N/mm^2 = 4*F(max) / pi * (4)

in order to find F(max).Am i correct??how can i use the length given??
One cannot multiply the stress by the number of rod. The stress in each rod is a maximum of 130 N/mm2.

Each rod can carry a load, so F = Stress * area, then F(rope) = 100 * F(rod). However, the steel rope must lift its weight (mass), so one has to subtract the weight of 1000 m of rope. Density of steel is about 800 kg/m2, and g = 9.81 m/sec2.

Now there is a question about depth - depth in what medium - air or water? The steel would have some bouyancy in water, but not air.

think itis in just air.so how can we use the depth in the calculation??

"F(rope) = 100 * F(rod). " the 100 is not the number of rods

number of rods is not given and have to find

1. What is the definition of maximal load?

Maximal load refers to the maximum weight or force that can be lifted or supported by a particular structure or object.

2. What factors influence the maximal load that can be lifted from a depth of 1000 m?

The main factors that influence the maximal load that can be lifted from a depth of 1000 m include the strength and integrity of the lifting mechanism, the buoyancy of the lifted object, and the water pressure at that depth.

3. How does water pressure affect the maximal load that can be lifted from a depth of 1000 m?

Water pressure increases with depth, so the deeper the object is being lifted from, the greater the water pressure will be. This means that the lifting mechanism and the object itself must be strong enough to withstand the pressure in order to successfully lift the maximal load.

4. Can any object be lifted from a depth of 1000 m, as long as the maximal load is within its capacity?

No, not all objects can be lifted from a depth of 1000 m, even if the maximal load is within its capacity. This is because the object must also be able to withstand the water pressure at that depth and the force of being lifted.

5. Are there any safety concerns when attempting to lift a maximal load from a depth of 1000 m?

Yes, there are several safety concerns to consider when attempting to lift a maximal load from a depth of 1000 m. These include the risk of structural failure, the potential for human error, and the effects of decompression sickness on divers involved in the lifting process.