Mathematical Relationships: Exploring Time Dilation and Speed Travel

In summary, The conversation discusses the relationship between speed and time, specifically in the context of traveling at high speeds. The formula for time dilation in special relativity is mentioned, along with the concept of time being relative. It is stated that there is experimental data supporting this theory, such as the decay times of high speed particles. The need for a common reference frame and synchronization of clocks is also mentioned. A different perspective is offered, suggesting that time itself does not slow down, but rather it is our understanding of time that changes at high speeds.
richnfg
Hello! :)

A few questions out of pure interest here that I figured someone on the forum will probably be able to help me with.

Just wondering, in terms of maths, has there been any relationship found between the speed that you are traveling and the difference in time (from how it slows down)? So, say I wanted to travel at 99% of the speed of light for 2 years, would there be any 'equation' that could tell how many years in the future you actually are?
I'm guessing there is no real experimental data to play with, but it just crossed my mind.

I'm pretty new to this subject, so it could turn out I have no idea what I'm on about.

:P

Rich

Physics news on Phys.org
richnfg said:
Hello! :)

A few questions out of pure interest here that I figured someone on the forum will probably be able to help me with.

Just wondering, in terms of maths, has there been any relationship found between the speed that you are traveling and the difference in time (from how it slows down)? So, say I wanted to travel at 99% of the speed of light for 2 years, would there be any 'equation' that could tell how many years in the future you actually are?
I'm guessing there is no real experimental data to play with, but it just crossed my mind.

I'm pretty new to this subject, so it could turn out I have no idea what I'm on about.

:P

Rich
You understand, don't you, that this is a physics problem, not a mathematics problem?
Yes, there is such a formula, developed in physics, that, like any formula is written in mathematics terminology. It is, if I remember properly, that it is
[tex]t'= t\sqrt{1- \frac{v^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]
But you have to be careful how you interpret that. That says, that, as spaceship A passes plane B with speed v (relative to the planet), while people on planet A have "t" years pass, they will observe the people on spaceship A aging only t' years. Of course, since velocity is relative, people on spaceship A will see planet B passing them at speed v and will observe exactly the opposite.

The difficulty with your scenario is that, while you say "travel at 99% of the speed of light for 2 years", you don't say whether that 2 years is measured in the spaceship or on a frame of reference that the ship is traveling at 99% the speed of light. Of course, in the "spaceship" frame of reference, the ship is not traveling at all.

Also I have no idea what you mean by "many years in the future you actually are? "
I can't think of any frame of reference in which you will have appeared to move into the future- well any faster than the rest of use do- "one day at time"! Relative to the spaceship frame of referenence, there will be no change in the flow of time. Relative to any frame of reference in which the spaceship has non-zero speed, time will have slowed down.

Moreover, this is just introductory "special relativity" and is explained at length in any cheap text on that subject (or on general physics even).

...and there is a mountain of experimental data to go on. See the GPS thread for a practical SR problem to practice on...

For a one way experiment, the most commonly cited experimental data is the decay times of high speed particles. So if you traveled for two years at .99c you would be two years older - us folks back home would be a lot older - you can use the formula cited in post #2 to figure out just what that number is. The story is a bit more complicated in that it is necessary to specify initial conditions - you need to start from a common reference frame and synchronize all clocks - otherwise an ambiguity is created as to who is doing the moving and consequently who is accumulating the greater number of years.

richnfg said:
Just wondering, in terms of maths, has there been any relationship found between the speed that you are traveling and the difference in time (from how it slows down)?
Rich

time doesn't slow down actually ... it stays the same its just that its just that time isn't an aboslute parameter at high speeds :
per say you would make yourselft a new parameter that is absolute then that parameter would show different times in the system taht travels near c (or is near a big mass)

1. What is the relationship between math and high speed?

Math and high speed have a strong connection as math is the foundation for understanding and analyzing the principles and mechanisms of high speed. Many aspects of high speed, such as velocity, acceleration, and force, can be quantified and predicted using mathematical equations.

2. How does math play a role in high speed technologies?

Math is essential in the design, development, and optimization of high speed technologies. It is used to calculate and analyze the potential performance and limitations of these technologies, as well as to create models and simulations to test and improve them.

3. Can you give an example of how math is used in high speed applications?

One example is in the field of aerodynamics, where complex mathematical equations are used to study the behavior of fluids and their effects on high speed objects such as airplanes and rockets. This helps engineers design more efficient and streamlined aircrafts.

4. How does the use of math contribute to advancements in high speed?

The use of math allows for precise calculations and predictions, which leads to more accurate and efficient designs of high speed technologies. This, in turn, contributes to advancements in various industries such as transportation, aerospace, and communication.

5. Is a strong understanding of math necessary for a career in high speed industries?

Yes, a strong foundation in math is crucial for a career in high speed industries. Many roles in these industries require the ability to solve complex mathematical problems and use mathematical modeling and simulation tools. Having a strong math background can also open up opportunities for research and development in high speed technologies.