Solving Physics Motion: When Does Green VAN Overtake Red CAR?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the instant the VAN overtakes the CAR and finding the equation of a linear function using given points on a graph. The participants also mention the use of displacement and calculating the surface under the curve.
Hollysmoke
I'm having trouble with the 2nd part of this question, which asks at what instant the VAN (Green) overtakes the CAR (Red). I drew out the diagram. From what I believe, the displacements have to be equal so would I have to substitute two equations in each other?

http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/4530/diag2nj.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's correct

marlon

I'm just lost on how to start the question...my friend and I are discussing it but bleh >_<

Well write down the equation of v as a function of time t.

You know that :
(30,15) and (0,0)
(60,20) and (0,0)

are the couples of points that belong to each linear curve.

Can you write down the equation of a linear function when these points have been given ?

marlon

well we're not supposed to use linear function...it's on agraph so it displacement would the area underneath the graph...still stuck on it.

Hollysmoke said:
well we're not supposed to use linear function...it's on agraph so it displacement would the area underneath the graph...still stuck on it.
i don't think you are getting the point.

Just set up v = a*t

by using [tex]y-y1 = \frac{y2-y1}{x2-x2}(x-x1)[/tex]

The (x1,y1) and (x2,y2) have been given. Keep in mind that x is t and y is v here

Or you can indeed get the a by calculating the surface under the curve.

Anyhow, the result must stay the same.

marlon

Omg I Figured It Out. Thank You Marlon!

1. How is motion described in physics?

In physics, motion is described as a change in position of an object over time. It is typically measured in terms of distance and time, and can be represented by a graph of position versus time.

2. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of both the speed and direction of an object's motion. In other words, velocity includes the direction in which the object is moving, while speed does not.

3. How do you calculate the average speed of an object?

The average speed of an object is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken to travel that distance. The formula for average speed is: average speed = total distance / total time.

4. What is meant by overtaking in physics?

Overtaking in physics refers to a situation where one object catches up to and passes another object that is moving in the same direction. In the context of the question, it would mean that the green VAN has caught up to and passed the red CAR.

5. How can you determine when the green VAN will overtake the red CAR?

To determine when the green VAN will overtake the red CAR, you can use the formula: time = (distance between the two objects) / (difference in their speeds). This will give you the amount of time it will take for the green VAN to catch up to the red CAR.