Persistance of screen glow/image on the eye HELP

In summary, the production of a flicker-free image on a television screen is aided by the persistence of screen glow and the persistence of an image on the eye. This is because these factors help create a smoothly flowing image by merging the previous and next images together. Persistence of vision is similar to persistence of an image on the eye.
iamamn
Homework Statement

Although the image in a television screen appears to change smoothly, it consists of 25 separate pictures every second.
The production of a flicker free image is helped by:
(i) PERSISTANCE OF SCREEN GLOW
(ii) PERSISTANCE OF AN IMAGE ON THE EYE
Explain how each of the above helps to produce a smooth picture.

The attempt at a solution

I was wandering if PERSISTANCE OF VISION was the same as one of the above?
Also i can't think of how to do working for this but is one of them:
The image produced merges with the next image and previous image to create a smoothly flowing image.

Thanks for anyone who helps (:
amn

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi iamamn,

iamamn said:
Homework Statement

Although the image in a television screen appears to change smoothly, it consists of 25 separate pictures every second.
The production of a flicker free image is helped by:
(i) PERSISTANCE OF SCREEN GLOW
(ii) PERSISTANCE OF AN IMAGE ON THE EYE
Explain how each of the above helps to produce a smooth picture.

The attempt at a solution

I was wandering if PERSISTANCE OF VISION was the same as one of the above?

If I am remembering correctly, I believe persistence of vision is the same as ii. You might want to consider what having a persistent "image on the eye" means physiologically, and how it differs from having a persistent screen glow.

I can provide a response to the content regarding the persistence of screen glow and image on the eye.

Firstly, persistence of screen glow refers to the phenomenon where the phosphors on a television or computer screen continue to emit light even after the image has changed. This helps to create a smooth picture by ensuring that there is no visible flickering between images. This is because the previous image is still slightly visible due to the persistence of screen glow, which blends seamlessly with the next image.

Secondly, persistence of an image on the eye refers to the afterimage that is perceived when looking away from a bright light source, such as a television or computer screen. This afterimage is caused by the retina retaining the image for a short period of time. This helps to create a smooth picture by reducing the perceived flicker between images. The afterimage acts as a buffer, allowing the brain to perceive a continuous image, rather than separate frames.

In terms of persistence of vision, it is closely related to the persistence of an image on the eye. Persistence of vision refers to the ability of the brain to retain an image for a short period of time after it has disappeared. This helps to create a smooth picture by blending the separate images into a continuous stream of motion.

In conclusion, both persistence of screen glow and image on the eye, as well as persistence of vision, play important roles in creating a smooth picture on a television or computer screen. They work together to reduce flickering and merge separate images into a seamless flow of motion, providing a more enjoyable viewing experience.

1. What is screen glow/image persistence?

Screen glow or image persistence, also known as "screen burn-in," refers to the phenomenon where an image or pattern remains on a screen even after it has been turned off. This can occur on any type of screen, such as computer monitors, televisions, and mobile devices.

2. How does screen glow/image persistence occur?

Screen glow/image persistence occurs due to the prolonged display of a static image or pattern on a screen. This can cause the pixels to become "stuck" in that particular state, resulting in the image remaining on the screen even after it has been turned off.

3. Can screen glow/image persistence damage my eyes?

No, screen glow/image persistence does not have any direct impact on eye health. However, it can cause discomfort and strain on the eyes, especially if the persistence is severe and prolonged. It is important to take breaks from looking at screens to prevent eye strain.

4. How can I prevent screen glow/image persistence?

To prevent screen glow/image persistence, it is important to avoid displaying static images or patterns on your screen for extended periods of time. This can be achieved by setting your screen to turn off after a certain period of inactivity or by using screen savers.

5. Can screen glow/image persistence be fixed?

Yes, screen glow/image persistence can be fixed by displaying a series of moving images or patterns on the screen. This can help "unstick" the stuck pixels and restore the screen to its normal state. There are also software programs and apps available that claim to fix screen glow/image persistence, but their effectiveness may vary.