How is the error in the expanded equation (9) identified and resolved?

• Thread starter Forhad3097
  • Start date
In summary, the paper discusses the inhomogeneous equation (11) and its solution (14) for φ2, which is obtained by plugging in the equation for φ1 into the equation. However, there seems to be a discrepancy with equation (12) when it is expanded, possibly due to a mistake in expanding the term [g2φ2 + g3φ3...]. The author requests for help in identifying the error.
Forhad3097
In this articlehttp://arxiv.org/abs/0802.3525, the authors present the inhomogeneous equation

$$\ddot{\phi}_2 + \phi_2 + g_2\phi_1^2 + \omega_1\ddot{\phi}_1 = 0\tag{11}$$

followed by its solution

$$\phi_2 = p_2\cos(\tau + \alpha) + q_2\sin(\tau + \alpha) + \frac{g_2}{6}p_1^2[\cos(2\tau + 2\alpha) - 3] + \frac{\omega_1}{4}p_1[2\tau\sin(\tau + \alpha) + \cos(\tau + \alpha)]\tag{14}$$

How is this solution obtained?

Physics news on Phys.org
You left out a crucial part of the solution: φ1 = p1 cos(τ + α). Plug that into the equation and you have a driven harmonic oscillator, solved in any calc book.

Find out the error please

I have expanded the equation(9) from the paper http://arxiv.org/abs/0802.3525 . $$-[1+\epsilon \omega_1+ \epsilon^2 \omega_2+\epsilon^3 \omega_4...][\epsilon \ddot\phi_1+\epsilon^2 \ddot\phi_2+\epsilon^3 \ddot\phi_3...]+\epsilon^2[\epsilon \Delta\phi_1 + \epsilon^2 \Delta\phi_2+\epsilon^3 \Delta\phi_3...]=\epsilon \phi_1+\epsilon^2 \phi_2+\epsilon^3 \phi_3...+[g_2 \phi^2 + g_3 \phi^3...]$$
From this equation We can write equation (10), (11) and (12) and so on. but equation (12) is not matching with the expanding equation I did. I think problem in expanding with $$[g_2 \phi^2 + g_3 \phi^3...]$$.
can you please have a look, that where is the problem?

1. What are the steps for solving an equation?

The steps for solving an equation vary depending on the type of equation, but generally involve isolating the variable on one side of the equals sign and performing inverse operations to both sides until the variable is by itself.

2. How do I know if my solution is correct?

To check the solution to an equation, you can substitute the value you found for the variable back into the original equation and see if both sides are equal. If they are, then your solution is correct.

3. What is the difference between an equation and an expression?

An equation contains an equals sign and represents a balance or relationship between two quantities, while an expression does not contain an equals sign and represents a mathematical phrase or formula.

4. Can I solve any equation by using the same steps?

The steps for solving an equation may vary depending on the type of equation. Some equations may require additional steps or specific techniques such as factoring or using the quadratic formula.

5. What is the purpose of solving equations?

Solving equations allows us to find the values of variables and solve real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It also helps us understand the relationships between different quantities in a given situation.