Statement about Forbidden Alpha decay transitions.

In summary, the spin and parity of a parent and daughter atom in an alpha decay can change by lh, where h is h-bar and l is the orbital angular quantum number of the alpha particle. This is represented by the equation \vec{I_i} = \vec{I_f} + \vec{l}. The total orbital quantum number, L, can take on multiple values depending on the values of I_f and l. The transition from a state 1^+ with the emission of an alpha particle with l = 2 can result in 3 possible final states for the daughter (3^-, 2^-, 1^-). The equation |l-I_i| \leq I_f \leq |I+
Silversonic
Hi, I'm confused about a statement about the change in final/initial states of the daughter/parent atom in an alpha decay. It is the following;

"The spin between the parent ([itex]I_i[/itex]) and daughter ([itex]I_f[/itex]) can change by [itex] lh[/itex] (h being h-bar, l is the orbital angular quantum number of the alpha particle), where;

[itex]\vec{I_i} = \vec{I_f} + \vec{l}[/itex]

and the parity changes by [itex] (-1)^l [/itex]
"

I'm confused because if, for example, we take the initial state of the parent to be [itex] 0^+ [/itex], then there are the following cases;

[itex]\vec{I_i} = \vec{I_f} + \vec{l}[/itex] means

[itex]|\vec{I_i}| = |\vec{I_f} + \vec{l}|[/itex]

Coupling angular momentum together would surely mean that the total orbital quantum number would be of multiple values;

[itex] L = I_f + l, I_f + l - 1, I_f + l - 2, ... I_f - l [/itex]

So if [itex] I_i = 0^+ [/itex] we could have multiple [itex] I_f [/itex] for a given [itex] l [/itex]. For example [itex] l = 1 [/itex], then

[itex] L = I_f + 1, I_f , I_f - 1 = I_i = 0 [/itex]

Meaning [itex] I_f [/itex] could take on values [itex] 0 [/itex] or [itex] 1 [/itex]. My notes seem to suggest only the [itex] I_f = 1 [/itex] state is possible. Am I looking at this in completely the wrong way? I think I don't fully understand what it means by "can change by [itex] lh [/itex]", what is the signficance of the "can" change?

I looked on the internet and in my textbook, not much to a detail that I can understand. Beta decay forbidden decays seemed to be the closest I could find which might explain it but I don't know how applicable it is to this situation.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
##I_i=0## gives ##|\vec{I_f}+\vec{l}|=0##, which has the solution ##\vec{I_f}=-\vec{l}## only.

mfb said:
##I_i=0## gives ##|\vec{I_f}+\vec{l}|=0##, which has the solution ##\vec{I_f}=-\vec{l}## only.

Ah yes clearly. I should've realized that. Here's a better example which might help me understand it for general [itex] l [/itex] and [itex] I_f [/itex].

Say the initial state was [itex] I_i = 1^+ [/itex]. We must have the coupled orbital angular momentum quantum number [itex] L [/itex] equal to [itex] 1 [/itex]. Then say the alpha particle had [itex] l = 2 [/itex]

The coupled orbital angular momentum quantum number of

[itex]\vec{I_i} = \vec{I_f} + \vec{l}[/itex]

Would be

[itex] L = I_f + l, |I_f + l - 1|, |I_f + l - 2|, ... |I_f - l| [/itex]

So if we had [itex] I_f = 3 [/itex]

[itex] L = 5,4,3,2,1 [/itex]

Corresponding to a possibility to have [itex] L = 1 [/itex]

If we had [itex] I_f = 2 [/itex]

[itex] L = 4,3,2,1,0 [/itex]

Corresponding to another possibility to have [itex] L = 1 [/itex]

And lastly; If we had [itex] I_f = 1 [/itex]

[itex] L = 3,2,1 [/itex]

Corresponding to another possibility to have [itex] L = 1 [/itex]So in a transition from a state [itex] 1^+ [/itex] with the emission of an alpha with [itex] l = 2 [/itex], it's possible to have 3 final states for the daughter ([itex] 3^-, 2^-, 1^- [/itex])? Is this correct?

Looks correct.

##|l-I_i| \leq I_f \leq |I+I_i|##

1. What is Forbidden Alpha decay?

Forbidden Alpha decay is a type of radioactive decay process in which an unstable atomic nucleus emits an alpha particle (consisting of two protons and two neutrons) in order to become more stable. This process is considered "forbidden" because it violates certain selection rules that govern nuclear transitions.

2. What are the selection rules for Forbidden Alpha decay?

The selection rules for Forbidden Alpha decay include conservation of energy, conservation of momentum, and conservation of angular momentum. This means that the energy, momentum, and angular momentum of the alpha particle and the remaining nucleus must be conserved during the decay process.

3. How is Forbidden Alpha decay different from regular Alpha decay?

Forbidden Alpha decay is different from regular Alpha decay in that it violates certain selection rules, making it a less probable decay process. Regular Alpha decay, on the other hand, follows the selection rules and is a more common type of radioactive decay.

4. What are some examples of Forbidden Alpha decay transitions?

Some examples of Forbidden Alpha decay transitions include the decay of uranium-238 to thorium-234 and the decay of neptunium-237 to uranium-233. These transitions are considered forbidden because they involve a change in the spin of the nucleus and violate the conservation of angular momentum.

5. What are the practical applications of studying Forbidden Alpha decay?

Studying Forbidden Alpha decay can provide valuable insights into the structure and properties of atomic nuclei. It can also help in understanding the mechanisms of other types of radioactive decay and in developing nuclear technologies such as nuclear reactors and nuclear medicine.