Calculating final angular velocity using rot. KE and ang. momentum?

In summary, the conversation includes a problem involving a point particle on the edge of a merry-go-round with a mass of 15kg and a merry-go-round with a mass of 235kg. The initial angular momentum is 2 radians per second and the question asks for the final angular momentum when the particle moves to the center. Two different solutions are attempted using conservation of angular momentum and conservation of rotational kinetic energy, but the latter is not applicable due to the assumption that something must do work to bring the particle to the center. It is also noted that the particle is actually a toddler crawling to the center, resulting in an increase in kinetic energy due to the conversion of chemical energy.
21joanna12

Homework Statement

There is a point particle on the edge of a merry-go-round. It has mass 15kg and the merry-go-round has mass 235kg. The initial angular momentum is 2 radians per second. If the point particle moves from the outer edge of the merry-go round to the centre, what is the final angular momentum?

I've tried to do this problem using conservation of angular momentum and conservation of rotational kinetic energy and I get two different answers...

Homework Equations

moment of inertia of particle, Ip = mr2 and of merry-go-round, Im=mr2/2

rotational kinetic energy =Iω2/2

Angular momentum, L=Iω for particle or

The Attempt at a Solution

In both cases, the moment of inertia of the partcle in the centre is zero and therefore its rotational kinetic energy and angular momentum are zero .

First, using conservation of angular momentum,

intial angular momentum of merry go round + of particle = final angular momentum of merry-go-round.

0.5x235xr2x2 + 15xr2x2 = 0.5x235xr2final

235 + 30 = 0.5x235xωfinal

ωfinal= 2.2553...

Using conservation of rotational kinetic energy,

0.5x15xr2x22 + 0.5x0.5x235xr2x22 = 0.5x0.5x235xωfinal2

Then I get ωfinal= 2.1238...

I have a feeling that the issue may be that the rotational KE of the particle isn't zero even when it is at the centre, although I'm not sure...

Thank you in advance! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Your teacher has a difficult way of formulating exercises!
We have to make a few assumptions before we can actually do something:
We assume the 2 radians per second is not the angular momentum but the rotational speed (angular speed) ##\omega = {d\theta\over dt}## (An angular momentum has a different dimension than rad/s)
We assume the merry-go-round (mgr from now on) plus point particle (pp from now on) BOTH rotate with that same ##\omega##
We assume that whatever brings the pp to the center is attached to the mgr
We assume there is no engine that is coupled to the mgr: the whole system isn't driven but rotates freely (no external torque).
We assume that the final angular momentum that is being asked for is not the total angular momentum of mgr+pp but the final angular speed of mgr+pp.

A bit much for my taste; did you render the whole thing or did you skip a few bits ?

In the case all assumptions are correct, we may use angular momentum conservation.

There is no reason to expect conservation of energy: something has to do work to bring the pp to the center of the mgr.

BvU said:
Your teacher has a difficult way of formulating exercises!
We have to make a few assumptions before we can actually do something:
We assume the 2 radians per second is not the angular momentum but the rotational speed (angular speed) ##\omega = {d\theta\over dt}## (An angular momentum has a different dimension than rad/s)
We assume the merry-go-round (mgr from now on) plus point particle (pp from now on) BOTH rotate with that same ##\omega##
We assume that whatever brings the pp to the center is attached to the mgr
We assume there is no engine that is coupled to the mgr: the whole system isn't driven but rotates freely (no external torque).
We assume that the final angular momentum that is being asked for is not the total angular momentum of mgr+pp but the final angular speed of mgr+pp.

A bit much for my taste; did you render the whole thing or did you skip a few bits ?

In the case all assumptions are correct, we may use angular momentum conservation.

There is no reason to expect conservation of energy: something has to do work to bring the pp to the center of the mgr.
Thank you for your reply! 'Angular momentum' was a typo- I meant angular velocity. I see now why we woould have to use conservation of angular momentum. The only thing I missed out was that the 'particle' was actually a toddler crawling to the centre. I see that kinetic energy would increase here because chemical energy from their muscles is transformed into KE.

Thank you :)

Related to Calculating final angular velocity using rot. KE and ang. momentum?

1. What is the formula for calculating final angular velocity using rotational kinetic energy and angular momentum?

The formula is ω = (2I𝑳) / (I𝑅2 + 𝐼𝑂2), where ω is the final angular velocity, I is the moment of inertia, 𝑳 is the angular momentum, and R and 𝐼𝑂 are the distance and moment of inertia of the object from the axis of rotation, respectively.

2. What is the relationship between rotational kinetic energy and angular momentum?

Rotational kinetic energy and angular momentum are directly proportional. This means that an increase in rotational kinetic energy will result in an increase in angular momentum, and vice versa.

3. How do you calculate the moment of inertia for an object?

The moment of inertia is calculated using the formula I = ∫r2dm, where r is the distance from the axis of rotation and dm is the mass element of the object. This integral is often simplified for common shapes such as a point mass, a thin rod, or a solid sphere.

4. Can the final angular velocity ever be greater than the initial angular velocity?

No, the final angular velocity cannot be greater than the initial angular velocity. This is because angular momentum is conserved in a closed system, so any increase in angular velocity must be accompanied by a decrease in moment of inertia.

5. What are the units for angular velocity, rotational kinetic energy, and angular momentum?

Angular velocity is measured in radians per second (rad/s), rotational kinetic energy is measured in joules (J), and angular momentum is measured in kilogram meters squared per second (kg·m2/s).