Short Story Physics: Radiation in Interstellar Space

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a colony ship with an atmosphere comparable to a planet and how it would be affected by radiation in interstellar space. The idea of using a powerful magnetic field or an ozone layer to shield the surface from radiation is also brought up. The most effective shielding is found to be hydrogenous materials. The conversation also reveals that both participants are fans of the author Larry Niven.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Idea for a short story.

Say you had a colony ship that had its atmo contained by acceleration alone. It had an atmo that was comparable in depth to a planet. (Don't worry about it escaping, just help me with the radiation aspect.)

Think of Niven's Ringworld.

How much radiation would you experience in interstellar space - say, a few light years from any stars? (discounting radiation from RW's sun.) While the RW's structure shields its denizens from radiation below, it doesn't help from above.

Would you be able to shield the surface from radiation with a powerful magnetic field? Or an ozone layer?

Would low relativistic velocities (.1%-1% c) blue-shift the radiation to any significant degree in terms of radiation exposure?

Thx.

Physics news on Phys.org
See the proton energy spectrum in this presention.

http://hesperia.gsfc.nasa.gov/sspvse/oral/Ken_McCracken/wintergreen1.pdf

Protons have energy around 0.1 - 10 GeV and their rest mass is ~0.93827 GeV. Most are non-relativisitc, but 100's of MeV is still a lot of energy.

The most effective shielding is other protons, i.e. hydrogenous materials. Light metals like Al should be avoided because of the secondary radiation from spallation reactions. LiH is a possible shilding material, but it would need to be surrounded by a structual material.

I guess once you introduce an atmo to the equation, you're basically comparing it to a planet rather than a spaceship. I guess that sort of answers my own question.

Dave, I used to just love you for your body... but you're a fellow Niven fan? :!)
:redface:

I've read and have a copy of everything he's published. He is my #1 fave. Currently reading 'Building Harlequins' Moon' in hardcover because, as usual, I'm too impatient to wait for the paperback to come out.

I wish that I had your money. Strictly pb for me. :frown:

1. What is Short Story Physics: Radiation in Interstellar Space?

Short Story Physics: Radiation in Interstellar Space is a concept that explores the effects of radiation in the vast expanse of space, particularly in interstellar travel. It is a way to understand and visualize the complex and often invisible nature of radiation and its impact on space travel.

2. What is radiation and how does it affect interstellar travel?

Radiation is the emission or transmission of energy in the form of particles or waves. In space, there are various sources of radiation such as cosmic rays, solar flares, and galactic radiation. These can have harmful effects on astronauts and spacecraft, including damaging DNA, electronics, and disrupting communication systems.

3. How does Short Story Physics illustrate the concept of radiation in interstellar space?

Short Story Physics uses storytelling and visual representations to explain the behavior of radiation in space. It combines scientific principles with fictional scenarios to help readers understand the complex nature of radiation and its impact on interstellar travel.

4. What are some real-world applications of understanding Short Story Physics and radiation in interstellar space?

Understanding Short Story Physics and radiation in interstellar space is crucial for the safety and success of future space missions. It can help scientists and engineers develop better shielding and protection for astronauts and spacecraft, as well as improve communication and navigation systems in space.

5. Are there any limitations to Short Story Physics as a concept?

While Short Story Physics is a useful tool for understanding radiation and its effects in interstellar space, it is not a replacement for scientific research and data analysis. It is meant to supplement and enhance our understanding of complex concepts, but not serve as a substitute for scientific facts and evidence.