Kerr Effect

by ajdecker1022
Tags: effect, kerr
ajdecker1022
Sep6-13, 09:21 PM
P: 10
I'm wondering about the Kerr Optical effect as described on wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerr_effect

Are there limits to the range of parameters at which the effect starts to break down? What λ values and E values does this formula apply to?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
UltrafastPED
Sep8-13, 10:21 AM
Thanks
P: 1,305
The Kerr optical effect is non-linear and material dependent. You should be able to find tabulated values for common materials.

The comments at the very bottom of the article are important; the simple formula for index of refraction that is intensity dependent is a linearization which is good enough for starters. But if you apply too much intensity your material is damaged; I have ruined a number of lenses with ultrafast laser pulses unintentionally.
ajdecker1022
Sep8-13, 08:49 PM
P: 10
Do those comments apply to the Kerr electro-optic effect? From what I can tell, it's referring specifically to the AC form of it. Do you know where I could find tabulated data for Kerr constants and such? The wiki article mentions a few, such as water (which is what I'm mainly interested in), but I was wondering about others. Google didn't give me much so far...

UltrafastPED
Sep9-13, 01:03 AM
Thanks
P: 1,305

Kerr Effect

Try search terms optical handbook kerr.

Register to reply