How to Simulate a Bouncing and Spinning Ball in Two Dimensions?

In summary, the person is trying to simulate a bouncing and spinning ball in two dimensions, but is having difficulty with the physics. They are looking for the resultant velocities of the ball in terms of initial velocity, initial angular velocity, radius, coefficient of friction, coefficient of restitution, mass, and moment of inertia. They mention resolving normally to the plane and the impulse associated with it, but get stuck when considering the initial angular velocity and its impact on the resultant velocity. They are seeking help with this problem.
gcoope
I'm looking to simulate a bouncing and spinning ball in two dimensions. I have the detection working fine but I'm having a little difficulty with the physics.

I have a moving ball colliding with a stationary immovable wall.

I would like to know the resultant velocities of the ball in terms of:

initial velocity u,
initial angular velocity ω,
radius r,
coefficient of friction μ
coefficient of restitution e,
mass m,
moment of intertia I

obviously first we resolve normally to the plane.

we have vj = -e*uj

so the impulse = m(1+e)uj

now I think there should be a rotational impulse proportional to this by a factor of the coefficient of friction,
so ω increases by μm(1+e)uj/I

but I get stuck here. I haven't considered the initial angular velocity of the ball and its impact on the resultant velocity and resultant angular velocity.

I hope someone can be of help,

thanks a lot,

Giles.

Physics news on Phys.org
gcoope said:
I'm looking to simulate a bouncing and spinning ball in two dimensions.
You can't unless you impose constraints on how the ball is spinning, i.e. the orientation of the spin axis. Say you define the motion of the ball in the "collision plane" which is defined as the plane formed by the initial velocity vector and the normal to the surface. Now assume that the ball is spinning and that, while the ball is in contact with the surface, the point of contact on the ball does not slide relative to the point of contact on the surface. If you want the velocity of the ball after the collision to remain in the collision plane, the spin axis must be in a plane perpendicular to both the surface and the collision plane. Now note that the collision of this kind conserves angular momentum about the point of contact P because there are no torques about that point acting the ball. You need to conserve angular momentum about point P to relate the "after" quantities to the "before" quantities. After the collision the component of the angular velocity perpendicular to the collision plane becomes ##V_{CM}/R## where ##V_{CM## is the velocity of the center of mass.

1. How does a bouncing ball work?

A bouncing ball works by utilizing the laws of physics, specifically the conservation of energy. When the ball is dropped, it gains potential energy due to its height above the ground. As it falls, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, causing the ball to bounce back up. This cycle repeats until the ball's energy dissipates and it stops bouncing.

2. Why does a spinning ball bounce differently?

A spinning ball bounces differently because of its angular momentum. When a spinning ball hits the ground, the friction between the ball and the surface causes a force that changes the direction of the ball's spin. This changes the direction of the angular momentum, resulting in a different bounce compared to a non-spinning ball.

3. What factors affect the height of a bouncing ball?

The height of a bouncing ball is affected by several factors, including the material of the ball, the surface it bounces on, and the force and angle at which it is dropped. The elasticity of the ball and the surface it bounces on also play a role in determining how high it bounces.

4. Why does a ball bounce higher on a hard surface compared to a soft surface?

A ball bounces higher on a hard surface because the surface is less elastic, meaning it can transfer more energy back to the ball upon impact. On a soft surface, some of the ball's energy is absorbed by the surface, resulting in a lower bounce.

5. Can a ball bounce indefinitely?

In theory, a ball can bounce indefinitely as long as it continues to gain and lose energy through each bounce. However, in reality, air resistance and other factors will eventually cause the ball to lose energy and stop bouncing.