Expired Password Prompt: Bug or Coincidence? Answers and Reasons

• Thread starter moe darklight
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around a user experiencing a message prompting them to change their password after logging in, followed by the site being down for an hour. The user also mentioned their paid upgrade expiring and not receiving a warning before it expired. Others chimed in with information about the database backup, manual upgrades by an admin, and a potential bug with upgrades. The conversation concluded with the user's issue being resolved and them thanking others for their help.
moe darklight
Hey, when I logged in about an hour ago I got a message that said something along the lines of "you've had your account for over 500-something days and your password has expired," after which I was prompted to change my password. ... then the site stopped working for like an hour.

Anyway, was that a bug or something or was it just coincidence ... and why do we have to change our passwords?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just a coincidence- the database is backed up around that time each day. You are required to change your password every now and then for security reasons.

hm... well I think that my paid upgrade thing also expired because my posts don't have an avatar or signature anymore... I just redid the paypal thing, but I forget, how long does it take till it goes through and I can add an avatar?

how come we don't get a warning before the account expires?

moe darklight said:
hm... well I think that my paid upgrade thing also expired because my posts don't have an avatar or signature anymore... I just redid the paypal thing, but I forget, how long does it take till it goes through and I can add an avatar?

how come we don't get a warning before the account expires?
I think Greg has to manually upgrade you once he has received the payment, but he's away this weekend. If you're not gold by the middle of next week, I'd drop him a PM and make sure that everything's gone through.

You should have received a warning message regarding your contribution, unless it's another upgrade bug.

O there we are, my pic is back up haha. thanks guys.

moe darklight said:
O there we are, my pic is back up haha. thanks guys.

Unfortunately, now you're gold again you fall victim to your posts being thrown into the mod queue in Feedback!

1. What is an "Expired Password Prompt"?

An expired password prompt is a notification that appears when a user attempts to log into a system or account using a password that has exceeded its designated expiration date. This prompt serves as a reminder for the user to change their password for security purposes.

2. Is an "Expired Password Prompt" a bug or a coincidence?

It is difficult to determine whether an expired password prompt is a bug or a coincidence without further investigation. A bug is a programming error that causes unexpected behavior, while a coincidence is a random occurrence. It is possible that the prompt is a bug if it appears even though the password has not actually expired. However, it could also be a coincidence if the password happened to expire at the same time the user was attempting to log in.

3. Can an "Expired Password Prompt" be disabled?

In most cases, an expired password prompt cannot be disabled as it is a security feature designed to protect the user's account. However, some systems may allow users to adjust the frequency of password expiration or disable it entirely. It is recommended to follow the password expiration guidelines set by the system administrator.

4. How often should I change my password to avoid "Expired Password Prompts"?

The frequency of password changes varies depending on the system or account in question. Some systems may require users to change their password every 30, 60, or 90 days, while others may have longer intervals. It is best to follow the password expiration guidelines set by the system administrator to ensure account security.

5. What should I do if I keep receiving "Expired Password Prompts" even after changing my password?

If you continue to receive expired password prompts even after changing your password, it is possible that there is a bug or glitch in the system. It is recommended to contact the system administrator or technical support for further assistance in resolving the issue.