Grocery Stores, Returning Sealed Perishable Items, < 4 Hours after purchase?

• Thread starter YoshiMoshi
  • Start date
In summary, the girl at the grocery store knew the person who bought the expired vegetables and they would not take the return because of the expiration date.
YoshiMoshi
TLDR: Why do grocery stores not allow you to return sealed perishable items within four hours of you purchasing it?

I purchased two huge vegetable platters (1.5 kg) from a grocery store that is half a mile from me. I got home and saw one expired tomorrow and one in three days. I decided that I wouldn't be able to eat it before it expires and I should return it. Total cost was about $30 so I figured it was worth the time to return it. I didn't open it and was still sealed.

The person at customer service wouldn't take it back after I pointed out they expiration date. I asked why because I bought it less than an hour ago. The person called up the manager and they said they would make an exception and would allow me to do it. The person put a not for resale sticker on them and took them back. Apparently they can't resale them. I felt bad that they lost money (and apparently the product sense they won't resale it) and I asked them why they would not normally take it back. She said even if it's five minutes, they can't accept returns of perishable items, because they don't know how it was stored. I explained that I was previously serv-safe certified and know that the temperature danger zone is 41 deg F to 135 deg F. Something that needs to be stored in refrigeration or frozen and is in the temperature danger for four hours or more grows bacteria that is not safe to eat. Because it was less than four hours, it was still a good product, it doesn't matter how I stored it there was nothing wrong with it and they can resale it. I explained that it was sealed so it's clear I didn't open it or contaminate it in anyway. Not to mention, these are vegetables that don't necessarily need to be refrigerated. Although one product included a dressing dip, which I guess apparently did need to be refrigerated. I'm not sure, because dressing is normally stored on open shelves at grocery stores.

So can someone explain to me why, if I bought a gallon of milk from a grocery store, walk out the front door and see that it expires today, and then walk back inside to attempt to return it, they normally won't take it back? This is even if I don't open it. If it was greater than four hours I would understand why they wouldn't take it back. But if it's less than four hours, it doesn't matter how I stored it. Apparently grocery stores also apply to this to all perishable products, even products that don't need to be stored in the fridge. Like canned vegetables etc.. Why? I'm thankful that they took it back, I just don't understand the policy. I feel bad that they lost the product because they claim they can't resale it, and the money because they refunded me. Although I don't think someone who looks at the expiration date would be buying the products I returned if they saw the expiration date before buying it. If it's still a good product and safe to eat, than why can't they take it back and sale it to someone else? Can some explain?

Apparently this is a common policy for grocery stores.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Stores can’t trust people to be honest. If they resell it and someone gets sick then they are responsible for all damages. Consider a $10 item vs $10,000 hospital visit.

There have been cases of aspirin poisoning from tampered bottles. There was a case in Texas of someone on a dare opening a container of ice cream, licking it and then putting it back. They were caught because of a social media post.

Likes russ_watters
YoshiMoshi said:
Something that needs to be stored in refrigeration or frozen and is in the temperature danger for four hours or more grows bacteria that is not safe to eat. Because it was less than four hours, it was still a good product, it doesn't matter how I stored it there was nothing wrong with it and they can resale it.

I don't think this is correct. The USDA recommends discarding perishable items that have been left out at >40°F for 2 hrs or >90°F for 1 hr: https://www.fsis.usda.gov/shared/PDF/Danger_Zone.pdf

Again, I would agree with jedishrfu that liability is a huge issue if they cannot guarantee that the food was stored or handled properly.

In Spain no shop is, by law, oblied to return anything. Did they know you?. The spanish translation for grocery store is "tienda de ultramarinos"; let's say "the little, and not far from home, store, where there is a little bit of everything".
I know the girl that works in the grocery store , and she Knows me. She would have replaced the vegetables for sale. No problem

I cannot recall ever returning a food item, other than bad produce (not inspecting it fully until I got home). I didn’t realize that people really do that. I figure that when I make bad food purchase decisions, that I have to deal with it. It’s my fault if I didn’t look at the expiration date or inspect the product.

Do you really want to have to always wonder if your gallon of milk or carrots was in someone’s hot car for hours?

Likes Spinnor, russ_watters, Vanadium 50 and 2 others
One thing I learned from "Tiger King" is that once perishables leave the refrigerated display they have to be discarded -- even if they are declined at the register. It does make sense: they have no way of knowing what has happened to them once they left their control.

YoshiMoshi said:
Apparently this is a common policy for grocery stores.

Merchants who accept returned items do under goodwill, ie keeping you as a returning customer to buy more stuff. There may be something about return policy on your receipt.

Did you know that when you are paying at the cash register, you and the store are making a contract - you accept the product and they accept to give you the product by means of the cash transaction.

for Quebec, Canada
Food and groceriesExchanges or refunds
If you wish to exchange a grocery item you purchased or ask for it to be refunded, you must consider the merchant’s exchange and refund policy. The law does not force merchants to grant a refund or provide a credit note if you changed your mind or mistakenly bought the wrong item.
What you should have on hand before requesting an exchange or a refund
When you go back to the store to request an exchange or a refund, make sure you have the invoice and the item’s packaging on hand. By doing so, you will save the staff from doing time-consuming research, which could make the exchange or refund process easier.
Defective items
The merchant is responsible for defective items. If you purchase a defective item, the merchant can either replace it or refund it. The decision is theirs.

IMO,
I would think that since the item has passed the Expiry Date ( see below for Best Before Date ), it should be classified as a defective item and the store should refund or replace. They are not losing money, since they would have had to dispose of the item ( or should have had to dispose of the item if they are a reputable business ) during daily inventory.

YoshiMoshi said:
I got home and saw one expired tomorrow and one in three days
Are you sure it said "Expiry Date" and not "Best Before Date".
Your product most likely did not have an Expiry Date on it, but a Best before Date.

Big difference.
Expiry date - they are NOT allowed to sell, and if you buy it, they have to refund or replace.
Best Before Date - It is not illegal to sell after the expiration of the Best Before Date. Return policy at discretion of the merchant.

I had a use for about a pound of Dry Ice (frozen CO2). The smallest block the local grocery store had was about 6 pounds. I asked if I could return the unused amount. The cashier said "I don't know. Try it." I took it home, chopped off about a pound, and took the rest back within an hour of purchase.

A different cashier had to call the shift manager to ask if it was OK to accept. The response was "No, we can't accept it."

Then the shift manager called back to the cashier to explain that "The COVID" was the reason and that the Store Manager would be in tomorrow.

Not likely 5 pounds of Dry Ice will survive that long.

Oh well. I wonder what they expect to grow -109F (-78C).

Tom.G said:
I had a use for about a pound of Dry Ice (frozen CO2). The smallest block the local grocery store had was about 6 pounds. I asked if I could return the unused amount. The cashier said "I don't know. Try it." I took it home, chopped off about a pound, and took the rest back within an hour of purchase.

A different cashier had to call the shift manager to ask if it was OK to accept. The response was "No, we can't accept it."

Then the shift manager called back to the cashier to explain that "The COVID" was the reason and that the Store Manager would be in tomorrow.

Not likely 5 pounds of Dry Ice will survive that long.

Oh well. I wonder what they expect to grow -109F (-78C).
You should have said "My wife bought too much dry ice.!"
Sometimes that works for some items - hardware - even if it is shall we say playing the sexist angle.

I did something similar many years ago. I bought something at a store (don't recall what) and when I got home my wife told me it was the wrong item, she needed something else.

So, back to the store asking to exchange it. When the cashier asked "Why" I replied, in a deadpan voice: "My wife informed me that it is the wrong thing." I felt sorry for the sales girl, she tried mightly, and finally successfully, to not break out laughing!

Isn't life great!

Cheers,
Tom

• Haha
Likes Fervent Freyja, mcastillo356 and 256bits
Shouldn't that in all humility be:

Isn't my wife great! ? !

• Haha
Likes Fervent Freyja
jedishrfu said:
Shouldn't that in all humility be:

Isn't my wife great! ? !
Could well be, but I'm not showing her this thread! :oldeyes:

Working in logistics changes your perspective on some things. Most of the cost in the sticker price is handling the product. It was only worth $30 because you will have a hard time finding it for less than that. The manager of a profitable grocery store is going to streamline the in and out process. Things can't linger on the shelf. It would not matter if an item had a 10 year lifespan. The store needs the shelf cleared in order to put something worth buying back on the shelf. If someone flags a product as "not worth buying" there is a reasonable chance that other people will think that product is not worth buying. It is unlikely that the manager will put more thought into it.

Responsible grocers should have a network for charitable donations. Something like Second Harvest, or Salvation Army. Some have deals with pig farmers since pigs eat everything people will eat. An enormous amount of food in the USA is simply wasted.

Ideally produce would be cycled back to farmers who produce the produce so they can use it as organic compost. I see trash thrown into plastics recycling bins. Proper composting requires a level of awareness that is not happening right now.

Likes BillTre
Fervent Freyja said:
Do you really want to have to always wonder if your gallon of milk or carrots was in someone’s hot car for hours?
I think that completely answers the question :smile:.

Just as additional info on returns: my wife works retail and when her store (clothing and household goods) opened back up, all returns must be quarantined for > two weeks. So the fitting rooms (locked closed for covid) were soon stacked to the ceiling with returns.

At a previous store, she often worked "customer service" aka, "returns." It was routine to have people returning party dresses that smelled of perfume, smoke, and sweat. Obviously bought intending to wear once and return. Store policy: accept the returns. Keep the customers happy. Maybe they'll buy more stuff.

Likes jbriggs444
Sell by and expired by are very different things. Where I used to work, ground beef got a sell by that was the same day it was grounded. But you could keep in in your fridge for several days after that. So it was rather unlikely that there was anything wrong with the produce, nor would it have been a problem for you to keep it for a week. As others have mentioned, the store would have to eat the whole cost of the platters - they certainly can't resell anything that has gone out of the store.

Were you planning a party? Why did you buy two platters?

Likes rbelli1
Algr said:
nor would it have been a problem for you to keep it for a week.

Throwing it out on the best-by/expiry date is a huge cause of food waste. If it gets one small spot, wrinkle, blemish, or wilt... throw it out.

Food goes bad when it goes bad not on a timetable. Is it moldy or slimy (if not supposed to be... I'm looking at you Roquefort)? probably throw it out. Does it smell (not again Roquefort) or taste bad? Toss it.

BoB

Likes Tom.G and jedishrfu

1. Can I return sealed perishable items to a grocery store within 4 hours of purchase?

Yes, most grocery stores allow for returns of sealed perishable items within 4 hours of purchase. However, it is always best to check with the specific store's return policy before attempting to make a return.

2. What if the perishable item is no longer sealed?

If the perishable item is no longer sealed, it is unlikely that the grocery store will accept a return. This is because once the seal is broken, the product may no longer be safe for consumption.

3. Do I need to provide a reason for returning a sealed perishable item?

In most cases, you will not be required to provide a reason for returning a sealed perishable item within 4 hours of purchase. However, some stores may ask for a reason for their records.

4. Will I receive a full refund for the returned item?

This will depend on the store's return policy. Some stores may offer a full refund for returned sealed perishable items within 4 hours of purchase, while others may only offer store credit or a partial refund.

5. Can I return a sealed perishable item if I have already opened it but did not consume it?

In most cases, once a sealed perishable item has been opened, it cannot be returned to the store. This is because the product may no longer be safe for consumption and the store cannot resell it to another customer. It is always best to check with the store's return policy in this situation.