When will the tank be half empty?

In summary, the water leaks from a vertical cylindrical tank through a small hole in its base at a rate proportional to the square root of the volume remaining. The tank initially contains 175L and 15L leak out during the first day. To find the time when the tank will be half empty, the differential equation is dV/dt=-k(sqrtV) and integrating gives 2√V = -kt + c. The lower bound for V is half of 175 and the upper bound is 175. To find the amount of water remaining after 4 days, the value of c is 2√175 and the lower bound is 175-15, or 160. The value of k can be determined
Gogsey
Water leaks from a vertical cylindrical tank through a small hole in its base at a rate proportional to the square root of the volume remaining. The tank initially contains 175L and 15L leak out during the first day.

When will the tank be half enpty?

How much water will remain in the tank after 4 days?

So the differential equation is dV/dt=-k(sqrtV)

Differntiating I have 2(sqrtVi-sqrtVf) = -kt+c

I 'm not sure about my lower bounds for V though? I have 175 for my upper bound, but what would be the lower bound? Would it be half of 175 for the first question, and 175 -15, so 160for the second question?

I also have to find the value of c. Initially Vi is 175, but so is Vf since none has leaked out yet, but this doesn't seem right. Unless you use how much is left after one day to find c. Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Gogsey! :smile:
Gogsey said:
Differntiating I have 2(sqrtVi-sqrtVf) = -kt+c

(have a square-root: √ :wink:)

(and you mean "integrating", of course)

Why are you using Vi and Vf? :confused:

Your Vi is just part of the constant of integration, c.

So just write 2√V = -kt + c …

carry on from there. :smile:

Integrating, Yup, lol.

Ok, so at t = 0, we have 175 L, so does that mean, C = 2sqrt(175)?

Do we have to find the value of k?

Gogsey said:
Ok, so at t = 0, we have 175 L, so does that mean, C = 2sqrt(175)?

Just got up :zzz: …

what happened to that √ i gave you? :redface:

Yes, C = 2√175.

Now start "at t = 4, …" :smile:

FAQ: When will the tank be half empty?

1. What could be causing water to leak from a tank?

There are several possible reasons for water leaking from a tank, including cracks or holes in the tank, loose or damaged fittings, or a faulty valve. It is important to inspect the tank and its components to determine the exact cause.

2. How can I fix a leak in a tank?

The solution for fixing a leak in a tank will depend on the cause of the leak. If there are cracks or holes in the tank, they may need to be repaired or the tank may need to be replaced. If the fittings are loose or damaged, they may need to be tightened or replaced. A faulty valve can also be replaced to stop the leak.

3. Is it safe to drink water from a tank that is leaking?

If the water is coming from a clean, well-maintained tank, it may still be safe to drink. However, it is always best to err on the side of caution and avoid drinking water from a tank that is leaking. The water may be contaminated or have a lower quality due to the leak.

4. Can water leaking from a tank cause damage to my property?

Yes, if the leak is not addressed promptly, it can cause damage to your property. Water damage can lead to mold growth, structural damage, and other issues. It is important to fix the leak as soon as possible to prevent further damage.

5. How can I prevent water from leaking out of a tank in the future?

Regular maintenance and inspections are key to preventing water from leaking out of a tank. It is important to check for any cracks, holes, or damage to the tank and its components. Additionally, ensuring proper installation and using high-quality materials can also help prevent future leaks.

Back