Amylia's question at Yahoo Answers regarding an IVP

• MHB
  • Thread starter MarkFL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ivp
In summary, the question is asking for a differential equation for the depth z at time t when the depth is h. The equation is given as: \frac{dV}{dt}=n-k\sqrt{z}. After substituting in the given information, we find that k=\frac{n}{\sqrt{h}} and solving for t, we find that t=\frac{2Ah}{n}\left(\ln(3)+\frac{2}{3} \right).
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

Question on differential equations?

"Water flows in a rectangular tank with base area A at a constant rate of n units of volume per unit time. Water flows out of the tank through a hole at the bottom at a rate which is proportional to the square root of depth of water in the tank. It is found that the when depth is h, the level of water remain constant. Initially the tank is filled to a depth of 4h. Obtain a differential equation for the depth z at time t."

this is what i did so far(im not exactly sure what I am doing... T_T) , please guide me in getting the answers:

dV/dt = k√(z)

z(0) = 4h
z(1)=h

[1/√(z)](dV/dt) =k
[1/√(z)] dV =k dt
integrate both sides,
ln √(z) + C = kt + C

i don't know what happens after this.. help :(

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can see my work.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Amylia,

We have water coming into the tank at a constant rate, increasing the volume, and water flowing out of the tank at a variable rate, decreasing the volume. So, using the given information, we may state:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dV}{dt}=n-k\sqrt{z}\)

where $0<k$ is the constant of proportionality.

We are told that \(\displaystyle z=h\implies \frac{dV}{dt}=0\,\therefore\,k=\frac{n}{\sqrt{h}}\)

Since the tank is a rectangular cuboid, we know the volume at time $t$ is given by:

\(\displaystyle V=Az\)

Differentiating with respect to $t$, we find:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dV}{dt}=A\frac{dz}{dt}\)

And thus, equating the two expressions for \(\displaystyle \frac{dV}{dt}\), we obtain the IVP:

\(\displaystyle A\frac{dz}{dt}=n\left(1-\sqrt{\frac{z}{h}} \right)\) where \(\displaystyle z(0)=4h\)

We are not instructed to solve the IVP, and in fact we cannot express $z$ as a function of $t$, however it is possible to express $t$ as a function of $z$.

MarkFL said:
Hello Amylia,

We have water coming into the tank at a constant rate, increasing the volume, and water flowing out of the tank at a variable rate, decreasing the volume. So, using the given information, we may state:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dV}{dt}=n-k\sqrt{z}\)

where $0<k$ is the constant of proportionality.

We are told that \(\displaystyle z=h\implies \frac{dV}{dt}=0\,\therefore\,k=\frac{n}{\sqrt{h}}\)

Since the tank is a rectangular cuboid, we know the volume at time $t$ is given by:

\(\displaystyle V=Az\)

Differentiating with respect to $t$, we find:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dV}{dt}=A\frac{dz}{dt}\)

And thus, equating the two expressions for \(\displaystyle \frac{dV}{dt}\), we obtain the IVP:

\(\displaystyle A\frac{dz}{dt}=n\left(1-\sqrt{\frac{z}{h}} \right)\) where \(\displaystyle z(0)=4h\)

We are not instructed to solve the IVP, and in fact we cannot express $z$ as a function of $t$, however it is possible to express $t$ as a function of $z$.

okay, that is very different from the tutorials examples that i have. actually that was only half of the question. the other half is
by making substitution z=hu2, show that u satisfies the diffferential equation \(\displaystyle \frac{2Ah}{n}\)\(\displaystyle \frac{du}{dt}=\)\(\displaystyle \frac{u-1}{u}\)

Find the time at \(\displaystyle z=\frac{16h}{9}\) and describe how z varies with t.

so how do i go about this?

Using the suggested substitution:

\(\displaystyle z=hu^2\)

we find by differentiating with respect to $t$:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dz}{dt}=2hu\frac{du}{dt}\)

and so the ODE becomes:

\(\displaystyle 2Ahu\frac{du}{dt}=n\left(1-\sqrt{\frac{hu^2}{h}} \right)\)

and so the IVP becomes:

\(\displaystyle \frac{2Ah}{n}\frac{du}{dt}=\frac{1-u}{u}\) where $u(0)=2$

This is the negative of what you gave as the result, and I will have to get back to you as I have to run for now.

After review, I am confident the IVP I gave is correct. So continuing, we need to solve the IVP in order to find \(\displaystyle t\left(\frac{16}{9}h \right)\).

Separating variables, and switching dummy variables of integration, and using the boundaries, we may write:

\(\displaystyle \frac{2Ah}{n}\int_2^u\frac{v}{1-v}\,dv=\int_0^t\,dw\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{2Ah}{n}\int_2^u\frac{1-(1-v)}{1-v}\,dv=\int_0^t\,dw\)

Applying the anti-derivative form of the FTOC, there results:

\(\displaystyle \frac{2Ah}{n}\left[-\ln|1-v|-v \right]_2^u=[w]_0^t\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{2Ah}{n}\left(-\ln|1-u|+2-u \right)=t\)

Now, letting \(\displaystyle z=\frac{16}{9}h\implies u=\frac{4}{3}\) we find:

\(\displaystyle t=\frac{2Ah}{n}\left(\ln(3)+\frac{2}{3} \right)\)

If we had used the ODE suggested by your textbook, we would have found a negative value for time $t$, since $z$ would be initially increasing, and this rate of increase would grow unbounded. And so in order for $z<4h$ we would need to look at a time before $t=0$.

To describe how $z$ varies with $t$, let's go back to:

\(\displaystyle A\frac{dz}{dt}=n\left(1-\sqrt{\frac{z}{h}} \right)\) where \(\displaystyle z(0)=4h\).

Initially, we have:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dz}{dt}=-\frac{n}{A}\)

As $z$ decreases, the rate of decrease of $z$ diminishes, so that $z$ approaches $h$ asymptotically, i.e.:

\(\displaystyle \lim_{t\to\infty}z(t)=h\).

1. What is an IVP?

An IVP, or Intravenous Pyelogram, is a diagnostic imaging test used to evaluate the urinary tract and kidneys. It involves injecting a contrast dye into a vein and taking X-rays as the dye moves through the urinary system.

2. How is an IVP performed?

During an IVP, the patient will lie on a table and a radiologist will inject the contrast dye into a vein. X-rays will then be taken at specific intervals as the dye flows through the urinary system. The procedure usually takes 30-60 minutes.

3. Why is an IVP done?

An IVP is typically done to diagnose problems with the urinary tract, such as kidney stones, blockages, or tumors. It can also be used to monitor the effectiveness of treatment for these conditions.

4. Is an IVP safe?

While an IVP does involve radiation exposure and the use of contrast dye, it is generally considered safe. However, some people may have allergies to the contrast dye or experience side effects such as nausea or lightheadedness.

5. How should I prepare for an IVP?

Prior to an IVP, your doctor will give you specific instructions on how to prepare. This may include fasting for a certain amount of time, stopping certain medications, and drinking plenty of fluids. It is important to follow these instructions carefully to ensure the best possible results from the test.