Why does observing an electron prevent it from entering a superposition?

In summary, the double slit experiment shows that when an electron is not observed, it can exist in a superposition of states and interfere with itself, creating an interference pattern on the screen. However, when it is observed, it collapses into a single state and no interference pattern is formed. This phenomenon is not fully understood and different interpretations of quantum mechanics attempt to explain it.
melkorthefoul
Hi guys,

Quick question. Just started QM in class, and we discussed the double slit experiment. I am just a bit confused here. From what I understand, if just one electron is shot at the slits, it enters a superposition of states based on probabilities, and interferes with itself, resulting in an interference pattern on the screen (Stop me if I go wrong anywhere). However, if the electron is observed, then it cannot enter a superposition of states, and no interference pattern is formed. Why is this so? If it is because observing the electron (hitting it with a photon) disturbs it, then shouldn't background EM radiation do the same thing?

As I said, confused. Help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
melkorthefoul said:
Hi guys,

Quick question. Just started QM in class, and we discussed the double slit experiment. I am just a bit confused here. From what I understand, if just one electron is shot at the slits, it enters a superposition of states based on probabilities, and interferes with itself, resulting in an interference pattern on the screen (Stop me if I go wrong anywhere). However, if the electron is observed, then it cannot enter a superposition of states, and no interference pattern is formed. Why is this so? If it is because observing the electron (hitting it with a photon) disturbs it, then shouldn't background EM radiation do the same thing?

As I said, confused. Help me out?

Nobody truly understands the double slit experiment and you are not going to get help on this issue here. If you want somebody's personal bias towards a perspective solution, that'd be another thing.

Read up on the interpretations of qm, as they attempt to provide a picture of what could be going on.

1. What is superposition in the context of science?

Superposition is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that a physical system can exist in multiple states or positions simultaneously until it is observed or measured.

2. How is superposition observed or measured?

Superposition can be observed or measured through experiments using quantum systems, such as atoms or particles, that can exist in multiple states at the same time. Scientists use tools like quantum interferometers to measure the interference patterns of these systems, which can reveal the existence of superposition.

3. What are some real-life examples of superposition?

One famous example of superposition is Schrödinger's cat, a thought experiment in which a cat is both alive and dead until it is observed. Another example is the double-slit experiment, where a particle can pass through two slits at the same time and create an interference pattern on a screen.

4. How does superposition relate to other principles in quantum mechanics?

Superposition is closely linked to other fundamental principles in quantum mechanics, such as the uncertainty principle and wave-particle duality. It is also a key principle in quantum computing, where quantum bits (qubits) can exist in multiple states at the same time and perform calculations much faster than classical computers.

5. What are the potential implications of superposition for technology and our understanding of the universe?

Superposition has the potential to revolutionize technology, particularly in the fields of computing and communication. It also challenges our traditional understanding of reality and the nature of the universe, raising questions about the role of consciousness and the observer in shaping reality.