Simple Bill Acceptor: Find & Use for Your Project

• Thread starter matt1212
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a student who is working on a project that requires a circuit to accept and validate a $1 bill and perform an action. They are looking for a bill acceptor with a simple output to signal the successful acceptance of the bill. The conversation mentions different options, such as using a business card scanner or modifying a bill acceptor, and also discusses concerns about accidentally taking other bills. The student also shares their previous experience converting a mini fridge into a kegerator and their plans to make it accept $1 bills. They mention some challenges they are facing, such as regulating the amount of fluid dispensed, and their capabilities in designing the controller. The conversation also references a promising website with information on a bill acceptor
matt1212
Hi everyone, first post here but been reading the forums for a while. I am a 3rd year EE student working on a small side project.

My design requires a circuit to accept a $1 bill, validate it, and then perform an action. I have been looking at bill acceptors online and they all seem to have many inputs and outputs. I'm looking for an acceptor that basically has one output, signaling the successful acceptance of a $1 bill. I know this probably doesn't exist but I'm looking for someone to steer me in the right direction on what to buy and how I can make it do what it is I desire. Thanks in advance and sorry if this post wasn't in the proper forum, mods feel free to correct me on this.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Bill acceptors can be pretty complex, but for a side-project it could be you don't care about rigorous counterfeit detection. In this case, something as simple as a business card scanner and some software might work... I would guess that an off-the-shelf bill acceptor would be preferrable, but you'll probably need to do some modification to achieve the output you're looking for.

http://money.howstuffworks.com/question269.htm

I found this site here that looks promising:
http://james.lipsit.com/dollar_bill_acceptor.htm

The bill dispenser he uses appears to have just a simple output that goes high once $1 is inserted. Still having trouble finding any kind of schematics though. My biggest fear with using anything but a bill acceptor would be it accidentally taking other bills, as I have no way to make change.

I recently converted an old mini fridge into a kegerator for our college house. I think it would be really cool if I could make it accept $1 and dispense a 12oz beer.
Biggest problems currently include:
- Accepting $1 bills
- Regulating the amount of fluid dispensed, i.e. how do I dispense just 12oz fairly consistently

I'm capable of designing the controller I am just stuck on these few input and outputs.
By what is says in the link I posted, it appears this bill acceptor can be wired as 120v ac and has a simple output? Am I correct?

What is a simple bill acceptor?

A simple bill acceptor is a device that is used to accept and verify paper currency for electronic transactions. It can be used in various projects, such as vending machines, arcade games, and self-service kiosks.

How does a simple bill acceptor work?

A simple bill acceptor works by using optical sensors to scan the bill and verify its authenticity. The sensors detect the bill's size, shape, and magnetic properties to ensure it is a valid currency. If the bill is accepted, the acceptor sends a signal to the machine to complete the transaction.

What are the benefits of using a simple bill acceptor?

A simple bill acceptor offers convenience, efficiency, and security in electronic transactions. It eliminates the need for manual counting and handling of cash, reducing the risk of human error and theft. It also allows for a faster and smoother transaction process.

Can a simple bill acceptor accept different currencies?

Yes, some simple bill acceptors are designed to accept multiple currencies. However, it is essential to check the specifications of the specific model to ensure it is compatible with the currency you intend to use.

How can I use a simple bill acceptor in my project?

To use a simple bill acceptor in your project, you will need to connect it to a microcontroller or a computer. You will also need to program the device to communicate with your project and handle the accepted bills. It is recommended to consult the user manual and seek technical support if needed.