Help with 1 step in proof of d/dx sin x = cos x

In summary, the cosine and sine can be factored out of the fraction because there is a factor of sin(x) and cos(x) in the appropriate terms.
RUMarine
I understand everything in the proof except the last step I have written here. What comes after, I understand.

How is it that the cosine and sine are able to be factored out of the fraction? That one step gets me. I was never too good with my trig, and have finally gotten a decent grasp of it, but this one befuddles me.

Prove: [itex]\frac{d}{dx}[sin (x)] = cos (x) [/itex]

[itex] \frac{d}{dx}[sin (x)] = \lim_{\Delta x \to 0}\frac{sin (x) cos (\Delta x) + cos (x) sin (\Delta x) - sin (x)}{\Delta x}[/itex]

[itex] = \lim_{\Delta x \to 0}\frac{cos(x) sin (\Delta x) - (sin (x)) (1- cos(\Delta x))}{\Delta x}[/itex]

[itex] = \lim_{\Delta x \to 0} \Bigg(cos(x) \frac {sin (\Delta x)} {\Delta x} - sin(x) \frac {(1-cos(\Delta x)} {\Delta x}\Bigg) [/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not clear what your question is! Obviously we can factor sin(x) and cos(x) as done here because there is a factor of sin(x) and cos(x) in the appropriate terms. The reason we want to do that is to get the limits [itex]\lim_{\Delta x\to 0} sin(\Delta x)/\Delta x[/itex] and [itex]\lim_{\Delta x\to 0} (1- cos(\Delta x)/\Delta x[/itex] which are limits you already know.

I know it sounds like a stupid question. Mixing trig into calc usually breaks my algebraic intuitions.

I just don't get how cos (x) and sin(x) get factored out in the last step. I tried watching videos from MIT OCW and youtube where the proof is demonstrated, but they always just write it out. This is just one of those things that is getting me.

I'd rather understand it, because it seems I am missing one of those building blocks that I should have known.

Is it true that (ab + cd)/e = ab/e + cd/e = a(b/e) + c(d/e)?

Ah yes! That makes sense now.

Thank you.

Related to Help with 1 step in proof of d/dx sin x = cos x

1. What is the proof of d/dx sin x = cos x?

The proof of d/dx sin x = cos x is a fundamental result in calculus that shows the relationship between the derivative of the sine function and the cosine function. It is derived using the definition of the derivative and the trigonometric identities for sine and cosine.

2. How do you prove d/dx sin x = cos x?

To prove d/dx sin x = cos x, you can use the definition of the derivative, which states that the derivative of a function f(x) is equal to the limit of [f(x+h) - f(x)] / h as h approaches 0. You can also use the trigonometric identities for sine and cosine, such as sin(x+h) = sin x cos h + cos x sin h, to simplify the expression and show that it is equal to cos x.

3. Why is d/dx sin x = cos x important?

The equation d/dx sin x = cos x is important because it is a basic result that is used in many other mathematical and scientific applications. It is also an important concept in calculus, as it helps to understand the relationship between the rates of change of different trigonometric functions.

4. Are there any other ways to prove d/dx sin x = cos x?

Yes, there are other ways to prove d/dx sin x = cos x. Some alternative methods include using the quotient rule, using the geometric definition of the derivative, or using the Maclaurin series expansion for sine and cosine.

5. How can I use the proof of d/dx sin x = cos x in real-world applications?

The proof of d/dx sin x = cos x can be used in various real-world applications, such as physics, engineering, and finance. For example, it can be used to model the motion of a pendulum, calculate the rate of change of voltage in AC circuits, or determine the interest earned on a continuously compounding investment.