Calculating the change of the volume of a sphere using this integral

• I
  • Thread starter cppIStough
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drop Liquid
cppIStough
I have a spherical cap of liquid (drop) that rests on a substrate. The substrate has a small hole at the base where liquid is pumped into the drop. One way to parameterize the spherical cap is via: $$x = \sin(s)\cos\phi/\sin\alpha, \,\,\,y= \sin(s)\sin\phi/\sin\alpha,\,\,\,z=(\cos(s)-\cos\alpha)/\sin\alpha$$ where here ##\alpha## is the angle the spherical cap makes with the x-y plane, and ##\phi \in [0,2\pi]## and ##s\in[0,\alpha]##.

Now ##\eta## is a small disturbance to the drop. The author then states the volume change can be written as $$\Delta V = \int_0^{2\pi}\int_{\cos\alpha}^1 R^2 \eta d(\cos(s))d\phi$$

Can someone explain the math behind that integral? I understand the ##\phi## integral, but the inside integral I can't make sense of. For help, here's a sketch:
Screenshot 2023-12-17 at 12.06.10 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a straightforward use of spherical polar coordinates [itex](r, s, \phi)[/itex]:
[tex]\begin{split}
\Delta V &= \int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^{\alpha} \int_R^{R + \eta} r^2\sin s\,dr\,ds\,d\phi \\
&= \int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^\alpha \frac13\left( (R + \eta)^3 - R^3 \right) \sin s\,ds\,d\phi \\
&= \int_0^{2\pi} \int_{\cos \alpha}^1 \frac13\left( 3R^2\eta + 3R\eta^2 + \eta^3\right)\,d(\cos s)\,d\phi.
\end{split}[/tex] Since [itex]\eta[/itex] is a small perturbation, only the term [itex]\frac13 (3R^2\eta)[/itex] is retained.

Likes DeBangis21 and cppIStough
pasmith said:
This is a straightforward use of spherical polar coordinates [itex](r, s, \phi)[/itex]:
[tex]\begin{split}
\Delta V &= \int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^{\alpha} \int_R^{R + \eta} r^2\sin s\,dr\,ds\,d\phi \\
&= \int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^\alpha \frac13\left( (R + \eta)^3 - R^3 \right) \sin s\,ds\,d\phi \\
&= \int_0^{2\pi} \int_{\cos \alpha}^1 \frac13\left( 3R^2\eta + 3R\eta^2 + \eta^3\right)\,d(\cos s)\,d\phi.
\end{split}[/tex] Since [itex]\eta[/itex] is a small perturbation, only the term [itex]\frac13 (3R^2\eta)[/itex] is retained.
This is great! What made you think to integrate from ##R## to ##R + \eta##? Becasue ##\eta## is deviation from equilibrium, so for me it wasn't obvious that it implies a change in volume.

EDIT: except now I look at the form and it's a function of ##t## which of course means it grows. Thanks so much!

If the position of the surface of the drop changes, then the volume enclosed by it will also change.

1. How do you calculate the change of the volume of a sphere using an integral?

To calculate the change of the volume of a sphere using an integral, you can use the formula for the volume of a sphere, which is 4/3 * π * r^3. By taking the derivative of this formula with respect to the radius, you can find the change in volume for a small change in the radius.

2. What is the integral that represents the change in volume of a sphere?

The integral that represents the change in volume of a sphere is ∫ 4πr^2 dr, where r is the radius of the sphere. This integral represents the change in volume for a small change in the radius of the sphere.

3. How do you find the limits of integration for calculating the change in volume of a sphere?

To find the limits of integration for calculating the change in volume of a sphere, you need to determine the initial and final radii of the sphere. The lower limit of integration would be the initial radius, and the upper limit would be the final radius.

4. Can you explain the significance of using an integral to calculate the change in volume of a sphere?

Using an integral to calculate the change in volume of a sphere allows for a more precise and accurate measurement of the volume change. Integrals help to account for the infinitesimally small changes in the radius, resulting in a more exact calculation of the volume change.

5. Are there any real-world applications of calculating the change in volume of a sphere using an integral?

Yes, there are several real-world applications of calculating the change in volume of a sphere using an integral. For example, in physics, this calculation can be used to determine the change in volume of a gas sphere under different pressure conditions. It can also be applied in engineering to analyze the volume change of a spherical object under varying conditions.