Real world applications of Metal Storm

In summary, this machine can fire a lot of bullets very quickly. It is not very accurate, but it could be useful in a military setting.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
If anyones ever heard of it... its a multi-barreled system that can fire upwards of 1,000,000 rounds per minute. It can be fitted with different types of barrels to fire anything from bullets to 40mm grenades.

So what are the real world applications? They say they can setup a few and cover a huge area and just annihilate anything that walks in there (such as a tank column/division/whatever... i forget the #'s associated with each) after verifying it using cameras in the field (so you don't send 100 40mm grenades at a woman walken to town or something ) i believe. Whats is this a really neat idea for the military or just a crazy kids idea come to life.

Physics news on Phys.org
first we should test it in iraq :wink:

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 425
"1,000,000 rounds per minute" sounds like an unreasonable amount of firepower, especially since there are missiles designed to destroy targets such as tanks.

Yah but this is cheap and can be used like a mine field supposedly... so u don't need an aircraft standing above a field 24/7 :D

i think its completely useless, but it won't always be. Its like metalstorm is to the musket as ? is to the mini gun. If they could compact the ammo, or shoot something lighter with less volume...success.

theCandyman said:
"1,000,000 rounds per minute" sounds like an unreasonable amount of firepower, especially since there are missiles designed to destroy targets such as tanks.
That's not what it means. It means it fires a couple of bullets at the same time. If I hold 2 hand guns and fire them at exactly the same time, I can claim infinite rounds per minute.

[tex]rpm = \frac{bullets}{\Delta T}[/tex]

[tex]rpm = \frac{2}{~0}[/tex]

rpm = omfg infinite bullets per minute!111

I don't see how firing from multiple barrels is impressive.

ShawnD said:
That's not what it means. It means it fires a couple of bullets at the same time. If I hold 2 hand guns and fire them at exactly the same time, I can claim infinite rounds per minute.

[tex]rpm = \frac{bullets}{\Delta T}[/tex]

[tex]rpm = \frac{2}{~0}[/tex]

rpm = omfg infinite bullets per minute!111

I don't see how firing from multiple barrels is impressive.

no you couldn't claim that. you would be firing two uzis with 700rpm each. Each one* of these multibarreled metalstorm guns fires rounds with high rpm's per barrel, i don't know what it is but its high. and

[tex]rpm = \frac{bullets}{~60 seconds}[/tex]

Last edited:
Pengwuino said:
If anyones ever heard of it... its a multi-barreled system that can fire upwards of 1,000,000 rounds per minute. It can be fitted with different types of barrels to fire anything from bullets to 40mm grenades.
We used to call these things "shotguns."

What is Metal Storm and how does it work?

Metal Storm is a weapons system that uses stacked projectiles in a single barrel to increase the rate of fire and accuracy. The projectiles are electrically fired and have no propellant, making it a purely electronic system.

What are the advantages of Metal Storm over traditional firearms?

Metal Storm has a significantly higher rate of fire and can be fired in bursts or fully automatic, making it ideal for close-range combat situations. It also has no moving parts, eliminating the need for maintenance and reducing the risk of jamming.

What are the real-world applications of Metal Storm?

Metal Storm has been primarily developed for military use, particularly for infantry and close-quarters combat. It has also been proposed for use in anti-aircraft and anti-missile defense systems. Additionally, it has potential applications in law enforcement and security.

What are the safety concerns surrounding Metal Storm?

As with any weapon system, Metal Storm has potential safety concerns. Due to its high rate of fire, it can be difficult to control and can quickly deplete ammunition. Additionally, the electrical firing system can pose a risk of malfunctions or electrical hazards.

What is the future of Metal Storm technology?

Metal Storm is a relatively new technology and its full potential is still being explored. There are ongoing efforts to improve its accuracy and range, as well as potential applications for non-lethal weapons. However, the development and adoption of Metal Storm technology may also face challenges and limitations in terms of cost and logistics.