A question of surveying a plat of land

• Thread starter jrfromafar
  • Start date
In summary: I was trying to figure out what my grandparents' land was and I found this online. It's a description of a plot of land. I'm not sure what it means.In summary, the person is trying to figure out what their grandparents' land is and found this online. They are not sure what it means.
jrfromafar

Homework Statement

this is a long shot, but I fugured maybe someone would like to try this:
using Google Earth, go to Beginning Point: Latitude 36°19'28.61"N; Longitude 119° 1'37.60"W.

Beginning at above Longitude & latitude, plat out the following: north (assumed Meridian) 1947.75 feet measured along the East line of the Southeast quarter of said section 27; thence South 62*35' West, 306.0 feet; thence South 42*37' West, 1044.0 feet; thence South 31*58' East, 320.0 feet; thence South 641.33 feet; thence South 59*45' Northeast quarter of said Section 34; thence North 0*15'30" East, 1227.36 feet, to the point of beginning.

*= degrees

(this is an actual description of property on a deed I have. I cannot make heads or tails of it!)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a set of instructions for marking out the plot on the ground by measuring lengths and angles.

The "east line of the south east quadrant of section 27" is presumably part of the the boundary of "section 27" on another plan.

"thence South 59*45' Northeast quarter of said Section 34" looks like a typo - Possibly "south 59*45' east (or west?) to the Northeast quarter of Section 24"

The attachment shows the general idea.

Attachments

• plan.gif
    plan.gif
    2.5 KB · Views: 453
you're right, there is a typo... my apologies ! I guess it was too late last night when I attempted to copy all of it. I left out an entire portion. This morning I had my wife help me get it all word for word! it should read (in entirety)

Beginning at the Southeast corner of said section 27 [above L & L); thence north (assumed Meridian) 1947.75 feet measured along the East line of the Southeast quarter of said section 27; thence South 62*35' West, 306.0 feet; thence South 42*37' West, 1044.0 feet; thence South 31*58' East, 320.0 feet; thence South 641.33 feet; thence South 59*45' East, 227.0 Feet; thence south 37*45' East, 286.00 feet; thence South 25*0' East; 611.0 Feet; thence south 20*49' East, 490.92 Feet to a point in the east line of the Northeast quarter of said Section 34; thence North 0*15' 30" East, 1227.36 feet, to the point of beginning.

I haven't checked the figure, but i am wondering, what's the problem? what's the question?

I did get it plotted. thanks much. this has been a mystery about a certain parcel that was sold along with a 13 acre parcel that my wife and I bought over 11 years ago. We went to fence one end of it, and pulled out the deed and read this about a 'second' parcel (parcel 'B'). Now that we have it plotted, we at least know where it is, now we will proceed to find out what on parcel B belongs to us. Thanks again for plotting it.

Good luck!

1. What is the purpose of surveying a plat of land?

The purpose of surveying a plat of land is to determine the exact boundaries, size, and features of a piece of land. This information is crucial for legal, construction, and development purposes.

2. How is a plat of land surveyed?

A plat of land is surveyed using specialized equipment such as a total station, GPS, and laser levels. Surveyors use these tools to take precise measurements and create a detailed map of the land.

3. Why is it important to have a plat of land surveyed?

Having a plat of land surveyed is important because it helps protect property owners from boundary disputes with neighbors. It also ensures that any construction or development on the land is done accurately according to the boundaries and features of the land.

4. How long does it take to survey a plat of land?

The time it takes to survey a plat of land can vary depending on the size and complexity of the land. However, on average, it can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks to complete a survey.

5. Can a plat of land be resurveyed?

Yes, a plat of land can be resurveyed if there is a need to update or correct the previous survey. This can happen if there is a dispute over boundaries or if there have been any changes to the land since the initial survey was conducted.