Number Theory: Find Multiplicative Order for (a,n) = 1

• Thread starter SeReNiTy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of euler's totient function and its relationship with finding the smallest integer k for which a^k is congruent to 1 (mod n). It is noted that there is no known formula for determining k if phi(n) does not equal k, and that brute force is often the best method for finding solutions. It is also mentioned that numbers with phi(n) as their orders are called primitive roots, but determining these roots is still an unresolved problem in mathematics.
SeReNiTy
Hey guys, I've been studying some number theory recently and have a question. We know if (a,n) = 1 then a^phi(n) is congruent to 1 (mod n)

where phi(n) = euler's totient function

Now my question is the totient function does not always return the smallest possible integer such that a^k is congruent to 1. So how do i find k if phi(n) does not equal k?

Physics news on Phys.org
SeReNiTy said:
Hey guys, I've been studying some number theory recently and have a question. We know if (a,n) = 1 then a^phi(n) is congruent to 1 (mod n)

where phi(n) = euler's totient function

Now my question is the totient function does not always return the smallest possible integer such that a^k is congruent to 1. So how do i find k if phi(n) does not equal k?
k would be a divisor of phi(n) but as far as I know there is no known formula for specific n and a except for a = +/-1 mod n in which case k = 1 or 2.

SeReNiTy said:
So how do i find k if phi(n) does not equal k?
The numbers that has phi(n) as there orders are called primitive roots. It is still an unresolved problem in mathematics, i.e. how to determine the primitive roots of numbers. (However, something about special cases are known).

Thus, brute force is the best way to go.

1. What is the definition of the multiplicative order for (a,n) = 1 in number theory?

The multiplicative order for (a,n) = 1 in number theory is the smallest positive integer k such that a^k ≡ 1 (mod n), where a and n are coprime.

2. How is the multiplicative order related to modular arithmetic?

The multiplicative order is closely related to modular arithmetic as it helps determine the smallest power of a number that gives a remainder of 1 when divided by another number, known as the modulus.

3. Can the multiplicative order be larger than the modulus?

Yes, the multiplicative order can be larger than the modulus. In fact, it must be larger in order for (a,n) = 1 to have a multiplicative order, as the multiplicative order is defined as the smallest positive integer k that satisfies a^k ≡ 1 (mod n).

4. How is the multiplicative order used in cryptography?

The multiplicative order is used in cryptography to help generate large prime numbers, which are crucial for secure encryption and decryption. It is also used in the computation of discrete logarithms, which is a fundamental part of many cryptographic algorithms.

5. Is there a formula for finding the multiplicative order?

Yes, there is a formula for finding the multiplicative order. It is given by φ(n)/gcd(φ(n),k), where φ(n) is the Euler totient function and gcd(φ(n),k) is the greatest common divisor of the Euler totient function and k.