Negative rod to uncharged metal ball:

In summary, when a negatively charged rod is held near an uncharged metal ball, the ball becomes polarized due to the presence of an external electric field. This causes an effective separation of charge within the ball without any physical contact between the rod and the ball. This phenomenon occurs due to the behavior of electric fields inside conductors, where the electric field must be zero.
sonastylol
[SOLVED] negative rod to uncharged metal ball:

Homework Statement

If a negatively charged rod is held near an uncharged metal ball, the metal ball:
1. becomes positively charged.
2. becomes polar.
3. Effect cannot be determined.
4. becomes negatively charged.
5. is unaffected.

The Attempt at a Solution

I guessed number 4, thinking that if the negative rod touched the neutral ball, the ball would gain electrons ( since its easier to gain and lose electrons - very very difficult and rare for an object to lose or gain protons )

This would make the ball negative but I was wrong... what's the catch here?

Physics news on Phys.org
The negative rod does not touch the ball though. What do you know about the electric field inside of a conductor?

oh my god. i read it as touched.IT NEVER TOUCHED X_X

there is no change - no contact was ever made.

wait, unaffected is the wrong answer x_x now what am i missing?

wow - yikes... is it not determinable?

The answer is it becomes polarized ; the ball has an effective separation of charge

Yes you could get the answer by knowing that inside the conductor that the electric field must be zero. So when the negative rod goes towards the conductor, then a bunch of positive charges need to go towards the end the rod approaches, and then negative charges must accumulate on the other side. It polarizes.

What is the negative rod to uncharged metal ball experiment?

The negative rod to uncharged metal ball experiment is a common physics demonstration used to show the principles of static electricity. It involves rubbing a negatively charged rod against an uncharged metal ball, causing the ball to become negatively charged as well.

How does this experiment work?

When the negatively charged rod is rubbed against the uncharged metal ball, it transfers some of its electrons to the ball. This causes the ball to become negatively charged, as it now has an excess of electrons.

What is the purpose of this experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to demonstrate how objects can become charged through the transfer of electrons. It also shows the principles of induction, as the negatively charged rod induces a negative charge on the metal ball.

What factors can affect the outcome of this experiment?

The outcome of this experiment can be affected by factors such as the material of the rod and ball, the humidity of the environment, and the amount of friction between the rod and ball.

What are some real-life applications of this experiment?

This experiment has real-life applications in areas such as electrostatics, where the principles of static electricity are used in industries such as printing, painting, and air purification. It also has applications in the development of electronic devices and technologies.