If I attached a self-made voltage multiplier to batteries + mechanical commutator

In summary, the conversation is discussing the possibility of using a pack of batteries, a motor with a mechanical commutator, and a voltage multiplier to effectively increase the voltage of the VDC output in opposite polarity. The participants are also discussing the circuit diagrams and the purpose of the motor in question.
kmarinas86
I saw the following video:

Lecture Series on Electronics For Analog Signal Processing I by Prof.K.Radhakrishna Rao, Department of Electrical Engineering,IIT Madras. For more details on NPTEL visit http://nptel.iitm.ac.in
Category: Education
Tags:
Voltage Multiplier

So I was wondering, is it possible that attaching a pack of batteries coupled with a motor with a mechanical commutator (for a DC electric motor) and a voltage multiplier allow me to effectively increase the voltage of the VDC output in opposite polarity provided that the system has a mechanical commutation?

Say for example I have the following:

Code:
 __-INDUCTOR+__COMMUTATOR ON STEEL SHAFT
 |              |
 |              |
 |__|CAP|_______|
 |      /\      |
 |     /  \     |
 -    /    \    |
BAT D^O    DVO  |
 +  /        \  |
 | /          \ |
 |/______|CAP|_\|

Would that work?

Is the following better?

Code:
 |              |
 |              |
 |__|CAP|_______|
 |      /\       
 |     /  \      
 -    /    \     
BAT D^O    DVO   
 +  /        \   
 | /          \  
 |/______|CAP|_\

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org

kmarinas86 said:
I saw the following video:

Lecture Series on Electronics For Analog Signal Processing I by Prof.K.Radhakrishna Rao, Department of Electrical Engineering,IIT Madras. For more details on NPTEL visit http://nptel.iitm.ac.in
Category: Education
Tags:
Voltage Multiplier

So I was wondering, is it possible that attaching a pack of batteries coupled with a motor with a mechanical commutator (for a DC electric motor) and a voltage multiplier allow me to effectively increase the voltage of the VDC output in opposite polarity provided that the system has a mechanical commutation?

Say for example I have the following:

Code:
 |              |
 |              |
 |__|CAP|_______|
 |      /\      |
 |     /  \     |
 -    /    \    |
BAT D^O    DVO  |
 +  /        \  |
 | /          \ |
 |/______|CAP|_\|

Would that work?

Is the following better?

Code:
 |              |
 |              |
 |__|CAP|_______|
 |      /\       
 |     /  \      
 -    /    \     
BAT D^O    DVO   
 +  /        \   
 | /          \  
 |/______|CAP|_\

What about:

Code:
 |              |
 |              |
 |__|CAP|       |
 |      /\      |       
 |     /  \     |
 -    /    \    |
BAT D^O    DVO  |
 +  /        \  |
 | /          \ |
 |/______|CAP|_\|

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't follow what you are trying to do?

Pumblechook said:
I don't follow what you are trying to do?

It's for a motor.

To describe the motor, it has a high L/R time constant and is generally high torque and low rpm. The armature (electromagnet) sits, while the rotor (magnet) interacts with the electromagnet's changing field.

In particular, I am looking to increase the no-load rpm using this system of capacitors and diodes. Also, increasing the voltage should allow the current to rise faster as well.

But to answer my question, you'll have to address what you can tell from the circuit diagrams above.

1. How does a self-made voltage multiplier work?

A self-made voltage multiplier is a device that uses a series of capacitors and diodes to multiply the input voltage. When a voltage is applied to the input, the capacitors charge up and then discharge through the diodes, effectively adding up the voltage across each stage of the multiplier. This results in a higher output voltage.

2. Can I use any type of battery for this voltage multiplier?

Yes, as long as the battery has a voltage higher than the desired output voltage of the multiplier. However, it is important to use batteries with similar voltage levels and capacities to ensure the multiplier functions properly.

3. What is the purpose of the mechanical commutator in this setup?

The mechanical commutator is used to switch the direction of current flow in the multiplier. This is necessary to continuously charge and discharge the capacitors, allowing for a steady output voltage.

4. How can I calculate the output voltage of the multiplier?

The output voltage of the multiplier can be calculated by multiplying the input voltage by the number of stages in the multiplier. For example, a 3-stage multiplier with an input voltage of 5V would result in an output voltage of 15V.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a self-made voltage multiplier?

Yes, it is important to handle the multiplier with caution as it can produce high voltages. Always make sure to disconnect the power source before making any adjustments or repairs to the multiplier. It is also recommended to use proper insulation and grounding techniques to prevent electric shocks.