Is Skating in the Netherlands Still a National Pastime?

• Thread starter Andre
  • Start date
In summary, the Dutch managed to move over the ice using skates, 400-500 years ago. They continued to do this even during the sub-zero temperatures this week. The painting and the photo depict the same geographical site.
Andre
In the 80-year war between Spain and the Dutch republic the Spanish were surprized by the Dutch miracoulously moving over the ice at great speed while they themselves struggled and falling on the slippery ice. Also there were the winter painters registering that unusual ability to move around on the ice on skates:

brueghelelderskatersbirdtrap.jpg

400-500 years later, not a lot has changed. This is what the Dutch do today (pictures made yesterday):

r89x8z.jpg

11l7vk1.jpg

2z3ovux.jpg

awaxj4.jpg

34o7tib.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
It's actually very cool (no pun intended, but noticed).
One week of sub-zero temperatures and the whole country is going mad :)
Even at the hint of thinking about prospects of an Elfstedentocht :)

That looks like some nice ice to skate on, it has been a while since I've had my ice skates on.

I don't do well on ice skates. The last time I had them on, the northern parts of the US got a feel for the southern parts of me.

What a lovely painting, and really nice photos. I enjoy skating very much, our rivers don't seem to freeze that smoothly.

Nobody noticing that the little girl in red is still at the same place after 500 years?

Nah, she looks much younger.

Borek said:
Nah, she looks much younger.

Right, her name is Dorianna Gray. :wink:

That means she was nice for all of the time.

Do the painting and the photo depict the same geographical site? Hypatia: I don't think it is a river, but a canal (which would explain the smooth ice, together with the current absence of strong winds).

I never skated in The Netherlands, but I spent many hours skating in Iceland.
http://www.zamboni.com/movies/CNN_ICELAND.wmv

Last edited by a moderator:
Monique said:
Do the painting and the photo depict the same geographical site? Hypatia: I don't think it is a river, but a canal (which would explain the smooth ice, together with the current absence of strong winds).

It's not, Monique; It's De Dobbe in Zwolle, a big pond.

Andre said:
It's not, Monique; It's De Dobbe in Zwolle, a big pond.

I saw those pictures and i thought... that looks like Zwolle, but it can't be! I grew up there, don't live there anymore, though. Nice pictures.

Absolutely beautiful, the echos of the past come through so clear. Wonderful, really nice!

1. How did skating become so popular in the Netherlands?

Skating has been a popular activity in the Netherlands for centuries, dating back to the 13th century when people used it as a mode of transportation during the cold winters. It became even more popular in the 17th century when the Dutch started using it for fun and sport. The flat and frozen landscape of the Netherlands makes it an ideal location for skating, and the country has a long tradition of outdoor skating on natural frozen lakes and canals.

2. What is the history of speed skating in the Netherlands?

Speed skating, also known as long track skating, has been a dominant sport in the Netherlands for many years. It first became an official sport in 1676 when the first ice skating race was held in Amsterdam. The Dutch have a long history of success in speed skating, winning numerous medals at the Winter Olympics and other international competitions. The country also has many outdoor and indoor skating rinks dedicated to speed skating.

3. What are the benefits of skating in the Netherlands?

Skating in the Netherlands has many physical and mental benefits. It is a low-impact cardiovascular exercise that can improve cardiovascular health, muscle strength, and balance. Skating also helps to reduce stress and improve mental well-being. In the Netherlands, skating is also a social activity that brings people together and promotes a sense of community and camaraderie.

4. How does the Netherlands maintain its frozen canals for skating?

The Dutch have a unique system of maintaining their frozen canals for skating. When the temperatures drop below freezing, they use special icebreakers to clear the canals of any debris and create a smooth surface. They also use pumps to bring water from the canals to the surface to freeze, creating a thick layer of ice. The canals are also monitored daily to ensure their safety for skating.

5. What is the Elfstedentocht and why is it so famous in the Netherlands?

The Elfstedentocht, also known as the Eleven Cities Tour, is a 200-kilometer long-distance skating race that takes place on natural frozen canals in the Netherlands. It is only held when the ice is thick enough, which happens on average once every few years. The race starts and ends in the city of Leeuwarden and passes through eleven different cities, making it a unique and challenging event. It is famous in the Netherlands for its long history and cultural significance, with many people and even the royal family participating in the race.