Undergrad books for physics and math

In summary: They usually have a good selection of textbooks at lower prices. In summary, the conversation discusses the search for good undergraduate level books in physics, mechanics, gravitation, heat and thermo, as well as trigonometry, calculus, and algebra. The individual already has Irodov and is looking for books at the same level. They discuss the usefulness of links provided and options for purchasing older editions of "Fundamentals of Physics" and "Spivak's Calculus." They also mention the idea of checking the UofToronto bookstore and used bookstores for cheaper options.
FedEx
I was wondering if you people knew any good book for undergrad physics(mechanics,gravitation,Heat and thermo all topics covered in halliday resnick) I already have Irodov. Do you know any other book of its level.

I am alos searching for a a tough undergrad books for trigo,calculus and algebra

Physics news on Phys.org
Where can I buy the cheapest "Fundamentals of Physics" (Older ones [not water down] if it is possible to get it new and cheap) and "Spivak's calculus" on the Internet (or not) that's new?

I'm in Canada by the way. This is because I never really brought anything on the Internet before.

Daverz said:
You can get the older edition of Physics from 1966 pretty cheap:
That's the edition I used as undergrad. Classic.

Daverz said:
You can get the older edition of Physics from 1966 pretty cheap:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0471345237/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Hi,

I never brought old books on the internet before, which one should I get? I want something that's clean, I don't want to feel like its a pain to learn physics.

How about Spivak's calculus 4th edition? I can't find it anywhere.

I'm going to UofToronto book store next weekend, maybe there? (But might cost too much)

Last edited by a moderator:
Bright Wang said:
Hi,
I never brought old books on the internet before, which one should I get? I want something that's clean, I don't want to feel like its a pain to learn physics.

I usually reject anything that mentions highlighting in the description. I've gotten very few books that weren't in good shape. You could also try alibris and abebooks, but I think Amazon gives you better protection in the case of a bad purchase.

Here are couple more listings for the 1966 edition of "Physics":

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000J4K37W/?tag=pfamazon01-20
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E0ACHQ/?tag=pfamazon01-20

How about Spivak's calculus 4th edition? I can't find it anywhere.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0914098918/?tag=pfamazon01-20

You're probably not going to find much of a price break on recent editions.

I'm going to UofToronto book store next weekend, maybe there? (But might cost too much)

You might try used bookstores in the city.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are the best books for undergraduate physics and math courses?

Some popular books for undergraduate physics and math courses include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Calculus" by James Stewart, and "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths.

2. Are there any online resources for undergraduate physics and math textbooks?

Yes, there are many online resources for undergraduate physics and math textbooks, such as OpenStax, Khan Academy, and MIT OpenCourseware. These resources offer free access to textbooks, videos, and practice problems.

3. Can I use older editions of textbooks for my undergraduate courses?

It is recommended to use the most recent edition of a textbook, as it may contain updated information and exercises. However, older editions can still be used as long as they cover the same material and are in good condition.

4. What is the best way to study from an undergraduate physics or math textbook?

To effectively study from a textbook, it is important to read actively and take notes, solve practice problems, and review the material regularly. It can also be helpful to form study groups with classmates to discuss and review the material together.

5. Are there any supplemental materials or resources that can help with understanding undergraduate physics and math concepts?

Yes, there are many supplemental materials and resources available, such as solution manuals, study guides, and online tutorials. It can also be beneficial to attend office hours or seek help from a tutor if needed.