Calculus based intro physics textbook recommendations?

In summary, OpenStax.org has a University Physics book in 3 volumes that is comparable to Halliday and Resnick, and its FREE. However, the problems in the book are often repetitive and there are a lot of errors. I wouldn't recommend them as a source for problems. Schaum's book has decent problems, but Irodov's Problems in General Physics is too difficult for me now. Chris McMullen wrote a series of problem books, and Schaum also has a problem book. Steve Warner's book is another option.
blesingri
Hi,

I'm a first year physics student who still hasn't found a textbook for his class. Our professor mentioned that any calculus based book is okay, but I can't seem to find anything!

He suggested Halliday and Resnick's Fundamentals of Physics (extended edition), and although it covers the material, the problems in the book are too easy compared to the ones for my course, while Irodov's Problems in General Physics are too difficult for me now! I'm looking for something in between, or something that gradually increases in difficulty from basics to Irodov's book's level.

Any recommendations?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried Randy Knight's Book? Another book I like is Ohanian. The Schaum's book has decent problems. Have you looked into the Physics book by R&H as oppsed to the fundamentals book? Chris McMullen wrote a series of problem books. Schaum also has a problem book. Lastly, check out this Steve Warner book.

I know I am not making it easier for you choose, but it is hard to choose for someone else as everyone likes a different approach.

Last edited:
Likes WWGD
blesingri said:
What problembooks would you recommend with it?

It comes with embedded problems after section topics and chapters I think.

jedishrfu said:
Openstax.org has a University Physics book in 3 volumes that is comparable to Halliday and Resnick and its FREE.
The problems in these books are often repetitive, and there are a lot of errors in the books. I wouldn’t recommend them as a source for problems.

Likes jedishrfu
I didn't know that. It seems they can continuously update them to eliminate errors but I see if students are doing the work then errors can creep in.

OpenStax seems to take a long time to fix errors in University Physics. Back in February, I reported an error in the answers to one of the homework problems, and they finally got around to looking at it and fixing the online text in October. And I wasn't the first one to report the error. Someone else had noted the same mistake a few months earlier.

The idea of OpenStax is neat, but the economics of the project doesn't seen to provide an incentive for adequate maintenance. I know of one instructor who dismissed OpenStax as abandonware. I think that's a little harsh, but at this point, I think students are better off spending a little bit for an old edition of a traditional textbook.

I studied with the Alonso and Finn book. Though, Sears Zemansky have a nice collections of problems about Newton's law .

Likes smodak

1. What are the best calculus-based intro physics textbooks?

The best calculus-based intro physics textbooks are subjective and can vary depending on personal preferences and learning styles. Some popular options include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Giancoli, and "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick.

2. Are there any textbooks that offer online resources or practice problems?

Yes, many calculus-based intro physics textbooks offer online resources such as practice problems, interactive simulations, and video lectures. Some popular options include "Physics: Principles with Applications" by Giancoli and "Physics for Scientists and Engineers with Modern Physics" by Serway and Jewett.

3. What is the difference between calculus-based and algebra-based intro physics textbooks?

Calculus-based intro physics textbooks are typically designed for students who have a strong background in calculus and are able to understand and apply advanced mathematical concepts to solve physics problems. Algebra-based intro physics textbooks, on the other hand, focus more on conceptual understanding and use simpler algebraic equations to solve problems.

4. Are there any textbooks specifically designed for non-physics majors?

Yes, there are calculus-based intro physics textbooks specifically designed for non-physics majors. These textbooks often focus on real-world applications of physics and use less technical language and mathematical equations to explain concepts. Some popular options include "Physics for Scientists and Engineers: A Strategic Approach" by Knight and "Physics for Scientists and Engineers with Modern Physics" by Tipler and Mosca.

5. Can you recommend a calculus-based intro physics textbook for self-study?

If you are looking for a calculus-based intro physics textbook for self-study, it is important to choose one that is well-written and has a comprehensive set of practice problems and solutions. Some popular options include "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Giancoli and "University Physics" by Young and Freedman.