Understanding the Difference of \mid and \rangle in Math Notation

In summary, the conversation discusses an issue with the stretching of the \mid symbol in a code and suggests using the symbol | instead. The code \left|\frac{1}{2},\pm\frac{2}{2}\right> is proposed as a solution.
Rajini
Hello everyone..
in the following code, why the \mid (or pipe) symbol is not stretched..but \rangle is fine
i want to type |1/2,\pm1/2>
here is my code
\left\mid\frac{1}{2},\pm\frac{2}{2}\right\rangle
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
|

Hello Rajini! :smile:
Rajini said:
Hello everyone..
in the following code, why the \mid (or pipe) symbol is not stretched..but \rangle is fine
i want to type |1/2,\pm1/2>
here is my code
\left\mid\frac{1}{2},\pm\frac{2}{2}\right\rangle
thanks

hmm …
[tex]\left\mid\frac{1}{2},\pm\frac{2}{2}\right\rangle[/tex]​

dunno :redface:

but it's ok if you just type | instead of \mid (or indeed > instead of \rangle :wink:)…

:tongue2: [tex]\left|\frac{1}{2},\pm\frac{2}{2}\right>[/tex] :tongue2:​

ohhh..thanks

What is the difference between \mid and \rangle in math notation?

The symbol \mid, also known as the vertical bar or pipe, is used to represent a "such that" or "given" condition in set notation. On the other hand, \rangle is used to indicate an element of an ordered set or vector in linear algebra. In other words, \mid is used for set theory and \rangle is used for vector notation.

Can \mid and \rangle be used interchangeably?

No, \mid and \rangle have different meanings and cannot be used interchangeably. Using the wrong symbol in a mathematical expression could lead to incorrect results.

How do I know when to use \mid or \rangle in a math problem?

In general, \mid is used when describing elements or conditions in a set, while \rangle is used when describing elements or vectors in an ordered set. It is important to carefully read the problem and determine which type of notation is appropriate for the given context.

Are there any other symbols that can be used in place of \mid and \rangle?

Yes, there are other symbols that can be used in place of \mid and \rangle depending on the specific mathematical context. For example, in set notation, the colon (:) or the bar (|) can also be used to represent "such that" or "given" conditions. It is important to check the notation conventions in the specific field of mathematics being studied.

Is there a difference in meaning between \mid and \|?

Yes, there is a difference in meaning between \mid and \|. While both symbols may appear similar, \| is used to indicate absolute value in algebra, while \mid is used in set notation. It is important to use the correct symbol in order to accurately represent the mathematical concept being described.