Latex Code for a Parenthesis ....

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Code Latex
In summary, we discussed the use of \left and \right in LaTeX code to properly size parentheses in mathematical expressions, and also explored other options such as \Big and \big for single-sized parentheses and curly braces. These codes can be helpful when formatting equations and expressions in LaTeX.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
In a recent post on the Cauchy-Schwarz Inequality I wished to "size" the parentheses adequately in the expression \(\displaystyle x = \frac{ \langle x, y \rangle }{ \mid \mid y \mid \mid^2} y + ( x - \frac{ \langle x, y \rangle }{ \mid \mid y \mid \mid^2} y ) \)... ... but in order to use \left and \right I need to also use the Latex Code for ( and ) ... but what is the code for a left and right parenthesis ... ?Hope someone can help ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
\left(...\right)

Example:

$$\left( x - \frac{ \langle x, y \rangle }{ \mid \mid y \mid \mid^2} y \right)$$

As a side note, for a single sized parenthesis use \left(...\right. or \left. ...)\right)

Examples:

$$\left(\frac12\right.$$

$$\left.\frac12\right)$$

greg1313 said:
\left(...\right)

Example:

$$\left( x - \frac{ \langle x, y \rangle }{ \mid \mid y \mid \mid^2} y \right)$$

As a side note, for a single sized parenthesis use \left(...\right. or \left. ...)\right)

Examples:

$$\left(\frac12\right.$$

$$\left.\frac12\right)$$
Thanks for your help greg1313 ...

It is much appreciated ...

Peter

Peter said:
Thanks for your help greg1313 ...

It is much appreciated ...

Peter

Also, for curly braces: \left\lbrace .. \right\rbrace

e.g. $ \left\lbrace\dfrac{\dfrac{a}{b}}{\dfrac{a}{b}} \right\rbrace$

Alternatively, we can use [M]\Big[/M] and [M]\big[/M] for parentheses that wouldn't otherwise scale:
$$\Big( \cos x + \cos \big( x+(k+1)\pi \big) \Big)$$
[latexs]\Big( \cos x + \cos \big( x+(k+1)\pi \big) \Big)[/latexs]

We can also use [M]\Big[/M] and [M]\big[/M] for a single bracket $\Big]$ that would also otherwise be too small:
$$\int_0^{2\pi} \cos x\,dx = \sin x \Big|_0^{2\pi}$$
[latexs]\int_0^{2\pi} \cos x\,dx = \sin x \Big|_0^{2\pi}[/latexs]

And there's more variants:
$$\big\{ \Big\{ \bigg\{ \Bigg\{$$
[latexs]\big\{ \Big\{ \bigg\{ \Bigg\{[/latexs]

What is the Latex code for a parenthesis?

The Latex code for a parenthesis is \left( \right).

How do I insert multiple parentheses in Latex?

To insert multiple parentheses in Latex, you can use the \left( \right) code and add additional parentheses inside the two brackets. For example, \left( \left( \right) \right) will produce two nested parentheses.

Can I change the size of the parentheses in Latex?

Yes, you can change the size of the parentheses in Latex by using different commands such as \big( \big), \Big( \Big), \bigg( \bigg), or \Bigg( \Bigg). These commands will produce larger parentheses.

How do I add text inside parentheses in Latex?

To add text inside parentheses in Latex, you can use the \text{} command. For example, \left( \text{This is some text} \right) will produce parentheses with the text inside.

Can I use different types of parentheses in Latex?

Yes, you can use different types of parentheses in Latex such as square brackets \left[ \right] and curly braces \left\{ \right\}. You can also mix and match different types of parentheses within the \left( \right) code, for example, \left\{ \left[ \right] \right\}.