Need help using Coulomb's Law; finding q1 when q2>q1

In summary, the conversation discusses a system with two positive point charges, q1 and q2, where q2 is greater than q1. The total charge of the system is 64.0 μC and each charge experiences an electrostatic force of 76.0 N when separated by 0.270 m. The problem is to determine the value of q1 using Coulomb's Law and a second equation provided in the problem statement. After some discussion, it is revealed that the second equation is actually stated in the problem and the solution is found.
Michael126
A system consists of two positive point charges, q_1 and q_2 > q_1. The total charge of the system is 64.0 \mu C, and elec each charge experiences antrostatic force of magnitude 76.0 N when the separation between them is 0.270 {\rm m}.

Im having a little trouble determining q1, it must be simple but i just can't see it! arrgh!

Physics news on Phys.org
the equation used is coulombs law; f= k *q1*q2/ r squared

You have a system of two equations and two unknowns. The unknowns are q1 and q2. One equation is Coulomb's Law as you have written it in posting #2. What is the second equation?

I realize i should post my work that I've done already...well i decided that both q1 and q2 cannot be equal since all other info would be irrelevant..i tried using the fundamental charge, 1.6*10^-19 as the value for q1 but that doesn't seem to fit, I've been on this problem for about an hour now but i can't seem to see the relation between the two..i apologize about my original post that didnt include my thinking process

i'm not sure we were given a second equation in lecture...maybe that's why I am not understanding haha

The second equation is stated in the problem. Read the problem statement carefully.

I just got it man, thank you!

What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of physics that describes the electrostatic force between two charged particles. It states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the two charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

How do I use Coulomb's Law to find q1 when q2>q1?

To find q1 using Coulomb's Law, you will need to know the values of q2, the distance between the two charges, and the force between them. Then, you can rearrange the equation to solve for q1 by dividing the force by q2 and the distance squared.

What units should I use when using Coulomb's Law?

The units used in Coulomb's Law depend on the system of units being used. In the SI (International System of Units), the units for charge are coulombs (C), distance is measured in meters (m), and force is measured in newtons (N). In other systems, such as CGS (Centimeter-Gram-Second), the units are different, with charge measured in statcoulombs (statC), distance in centimeters (cm), and force in dynes (dyn).

Can Coulomb's Law be used for both positive and negative charges?

Yes, Coulomb's Law can be used for both positive and negative charges. The direction of the force will depend on the signs of the charges, with like charges repelling each other and opposite charges attracting each other.

Are there any limitations to using Coulomb's Law?

Yes, there are limitations to using Coulomb's Law. It assumes that the charges are point charges and that the distance between them is much larger than the size of the charges. It also does not take into account any other forces that may be acting on the charges, such as gravitational or magnetic forces. Additionally, it only applies to static charges and does not account for any changes in motion or acceleration.