Solving Schrodinger DE using Frobenius

In summary, the conversation discusses constructing a series solution for a differential equation with specific constants, using the larger root of the indicial equation. The next step is to find a closed form expression for the coefficients of the series by solving the recurrence relation. This is done by setting the coefficient of $x^\lambda$ to 0 and using this to find an expression for all $b_n$ in terms of known values and constants. This expression can then be used to calculate the coefficients of the series solution.
claret_n_blue
My DE is

[tex] \frac{h^2}{2m} \frac{d^2\psi}{dx^2} + \left(E - \frac{Ae^{-ax}}{x} \right) \psi = 0 [/tex]

where h, m, A < 0 and a and E are constants. I need to construct the following series solution (using the larger root of my indicial equation):

[tex] \psi(x) = a_0 \left[x + \frac{Am}{h^2}x^2 + \frac{1}{6} \left( \frac{2A^2m^2}{h^4} - \frac{2Em}{h^2} - \frac{2Aam}{h^2}\right)x^3+... \right] [/tex]

at x = 0.

So far, I've managed to do a load of work and I've got:

[tex] \left( \frac{h^2}{2m}(k^2 - k)b_0\right)x^{k - 2} + \left(\frac{h^2}{2m}(k^2 +k) b_0 - Ab_1 \right)x^{k -1} + \sum_{\lambda = 2}^{\infty} \left[ \frac{h^2}{2m}(\lambda + k - 1)(\lambda + k)b_{\lambda} -A b_{\lambda - 1} + (E + Aa)b_{\lambda - 2} \right] x^{\lambda +k - 2} = 0 [/tex]

Which I'm pretty sure is correct, however I am stuck as to how to solve it from here. What do I do? I think the larger root of my indicial equation is 1. So subbing that into my recurrence relation gives me:

[tex] \sum_{\lambda = 0}^{\infty} \left[ \frac{h^2}{2m}(\lambda + k - 1)(\lambda + k)b_{\lambda + 2} -A b_{\lambda +1} + (E - Aa)b_{\lambda} \right] x^{\lambda +k} = 0 [/tex]

[tex] k = 1 : \frac{h^2}{2m}(\lambda + (1) - 1)(\lambda + (1))b_{\lambda + 2} -A b_{\lambda +1} + (E - Aa)b_{\lambda } = 0 [/tex]

[tex] = \frac{h^2}{2m}(\lambda)(\lambda + 1)b_{\lambda+2} -A b_{\lambda + 1} + (E - Aa)b_{\lambda } = 0 [/tex]

Is that bit correct? What do I do from there. I can't solve it with the three "unknowns" in [tex]b_{\lambda}, b_{\lambda + 1} [/tex] and [tex] b_{\lambda + 2} [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
because I don't know what they are. The next step is to find a closed form expression for the coefficients of the series. To do this, you need to solve the recurrence relation. Start by setting the coefficient of $x^\lambda$ to 0: \frac{h^2}{2m}(\lambda)(\lambda + 1)b_{\lambda+2} -A b_{\lambda + 1} + (E - Aa)b_{\lambda } = 0 Rearrange this to get an expression for $b_{\lambda+2}$ in terms of $b_\lambda$ and $b_{\lambda+1}$: b_{\lambda+2} = \frac{A b_{\lambda+1} - (E-Aa)b_\lambda}{\frac{h^2}{2m} \lambda (\lambda+1)} Now, by iterating this expression we can find an expression for all $b_n$, where n is an integer. We can write this as a closed form expression by using the fact that $b_0$ and $b_1$ are known values: b_n = \frac{A^{n-1}}{\prod_{k=1}^{n-1}{\frac{h^2}{2m} k (k+1)}} \left( b_1 - \sum_{j=1}^{n-1}{\frac{(E-Aa)}{A^{j-1}}b_{j-1}} \right) So with this expression, we can calculate the coefficients of the series solution.

1. What is the Schrodinger differential equation?

The Schrodinger differential equation is a mathematical equation used in quantum mechanics to describe the evolution of a quantum state over time. It is named after Austrian physicist Erwin Schrodinger, who first proposed it in 1926.

2. What is the Frobenius method?

The Frobenius method is a technique used to solve ordinary differential equations with variable coefficients. It involves assuming a solution in the form of a power series and then finding the coefficients through a recursive process.

3. How does the Frobenius method help in solving the Schrodinger differential equation?

The Frobenius method allows us to find the solutions to the Schrodinger differential equation in the form of power series, which can then be used to calculate the wave function of a quantum system. This method is particularly useful when the potential energy function in the Schrodinger equation is complex or dependent on multiple variables.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Frobenius method in solving Schrodinger differential equation?

Yes, the Frobenius method may not always be applicable to all types of differential equations. It is most effective for equations with variable coefficients and singular points. In addition, the convergence of the power series solution may be limited by the behavior of the potential energy function.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving Schrodinger differential equation using Frobenius method?

The Schrodinger differential equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics and has numerous applications in physics, chemistry, and engineering. Some examples include calculating the energy levels of atoms, predicting the behavior of electrons in a solid state, and modeling the dynamics of quantum systems in quantum computing.