Calculating Primary and Differential Settlement of a Covered Steel Tank

In summary, the conversation discusses the settlement of a covered steel tank filled with liquid on a concrete foundation resting on soft clay. The primary consolidation settlement, differential settlement, and time for 50% consolidation to occur are calculated. The tank was also loaded to half capacity for 2 years, and the rebound settlement after being drained is calculated. Various equations and unknowns are mentioned throughout the conversation.
jessikat_93
1. A covered steel tank (unit weight=80kN/m^3) 15m in diameter x 10m high and with 20mm wall thickness is filled with liquid (unit weight=9 kN/m^3) up to a height of 9.9m. The tank sits on a concrete (unit weight=25kN/m^3) foundation. 15m in diameter x 0.6m thick. The foundation rests on the surface of 5m thick soft, normally consolidated clay above a thick layer of gravel. The geotechnical data of the clay are Cc=0.6, Cr=0.08, Cv=10m^2/year, w=48%. Groundwater level is 0.5m below the surface. Assume the foundation is flexible.
a. Calculate the primary consolidation settlement at the centre of the tank.
b. Calculate the differential consolidation settlement between the centre and the edge of
the tank.
c. Calculate the time for 50% consolidation to occur.
d. The tank was loaded to half its capacity and kept there for 2 years. Calculate the
settlement. The tank was then drained: calculate the rebound.

Homework Equations

a)
Ppc=H0/(1+e0)*Cc log(sigma(fin)/sigma(z0))
sigma(fin)=sigma(z0)+Delta*sigma(z)
sigma(z0)=(Ysat-Yw)z
Delta*sigma(z)=(3Q)/(2 pi z^2 [1+(r/z)^2]^(5/2))

b)
Ppc=H0*mv*Delta sigma
differential settlement= PpcB-PpcA

c)
Cu=(0.197*Hdr^2)/t50
t50=(0.197*Hdr^2)/Cu

d)
I'm very unsure about this part of the question but I think it is similar to part A just with a different weight?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have so far found all the equations I think I need, however there are too many unknowns for me to complete the entire question so I was hoping that someone would be able to shed some light on the situation and help me with finding all the unknowns.

Physics news on Phys.org
a)Ppc=H0/(1+e0)*Cc log(sigma(fin)/sigma(z0))H0=9.9me0=?Cc=0.6sigma(fin)=?sigma(z0)=(Ysat-Yw)zYsat=?Yw=0.5mz=?Delta*sigma(z)=(3Q)/(2 pi z^2 [1+(r/z)^2]^(5/2))Q=?r=7.5mb)Ppc=H0*mv*Delta sigmaH0=9.9mmv=?Delta sigma=?differential settlement= PpcB-PpcAc)Cu=(0.197*Hdr^2)/t50Hdr=9.9mt50=(0.197*Hdr^2)/CuCu=?d)Ppc=H0/(1+e0)*Cc log(sigma(fin)/sigma(z0))H0=?e0=?Cc=0.6sigma(fin)=?sigma(z0)=(Ysat-Yw)zYsat=?Yw=0.5mz=?Delta*sigma(z)=(3Q)/(2 pi z^2 [1+(r/z)^2]^(5/2))Q=?r=7.5m

1. How do you calculate primary settlement of a covered steel tank?

To calculate the primary settlement of a covered steel tank, you will need to determine the weight of the tank and its contents, the soil properties and the dimensions of the foundation. Using this information, you can use a settlement calculation formula, such as the Terzaghi's theory, to estimate the primary settlement.

2. What factors can affect the primary settlement of a covered steel tank?

The primary settlement of a covered steel tank can be affected by various factors such as the weight and size of the tank, the soil properties, the depth and type of foundation, and the load distribution on the foundation.

3. How do you calculate differential settlement of a covered steel tank?

To calculate the differential settlement of a covered steel tank, you will need to determine the primary settlement of each support point and the difference between them. This can be done by using a differential settlement formula, such as the Boussinesq's theory, which takes into account the shape and size of the tank.

4. What are the potential consequences of excessive differential settlement of a covered steel tank?

Excessive differential settlement of a covered steel tank can lead to structural damage, such as cracking or tilting of the tank, which can compromise its integrity and stability. It can also cause leakage or failure of the tank's contents, resulting in environmental and safety hazards.

5. How can the primary and differential settlement of a covered steel tank be mitigated?

The primary and differential settlement of a covered steel tank can be mitigated by using proper foundation design and construction techniques. This may include using a more suitable soil, increasing the foundation area, incorporating reinforcement or stabilizing elements, and implementing proper maintenance and monitoring programs.