Induced Metric of a 2-Sphere: Why i≠j?

In summary, the term in the center of the matrix is wrong, and so the Jacobian cannot account for i ≠ j.
pdxautodidact
So, by accident, while deriving the induced metric for a sphere in 3 dimensions I realized that the transpose of the jacobi matrix multiplied by the jacobi matrix (considering it as 3 row/column vectors)will work out the induced metric. Why is it that i≠j ends up being superfluous. One would have X=a 2-sphere in parameterized coordinates, and then g_ij= <X_;i,X_;j>. Thus one would compute <X_;1,X_;2> and the same for 2,3. Is this because the embedded manifold is an immersion, or is there something else? Thanks for any elucidation and best.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try a different parametrization and see what happens:

[tex]\begin{align}x &= \sin \theta \cos (\phi + \theta), \\ y &= \sin \theta \sin (\phi + \theta), \\ z &= \cos \theta.\end{align}[/tex]

Likes 1 person
Does that, in fact, parameterize a sphere? It's not obvious to me. I included an r term in the coordinates since I want it in general, not the only the unit case. The induced metric was:
$$
\left(
\begin{array}{ccc}
1 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & r^2 sin^2\theta & r^2 sin^2\theta \\
0 & r^2 sin^2\theta & r^2 sin^2\theta
\end{array}
\right)
$$

I haven't had time to write it out again, so I could have made a mistake, but this looks bad to me. The matrix is singular, and thus it can't be a metric, correct? Assuming this is correct, I don't see how the Jacobian will account for i ≠ j. I'll work through it again. Thanks

The term in the center of your matrix is wrong.

Okay, so I went through it again:

let X be the 2 sphere with your suggested parameterization

$$
X_{;\theta} = \left(
\begin{array}{c} x^1 = rcos\theta cos \left(\phi + \theta \right) - rsin \theta sin \left(\phi + \theta \right) \\
x^2 = rcos \theta sin \left( \phi + \theta \right) + rsin\theta cos \left(\phi + \theta \right) \\
x^3 = -rsin\theta
\end{array}
\right)
$$

When I dot that with itself I got the same answer again. Mathematica, with a bit of tinkering, gave me

$$ r^2 (Cos(\phi)^2 + Cos(2 \theta + \phi)^2 + sin(\theta)^2) $$

What should g_22 be?

You should end up with

[tex]r^2 (1 + \sin^2 \theta)[/tex]

Check your algebra again. You shouldn't really need Mathematica, it's pretty easy to do.

Likes 1 person
Yeah, I combined the trig terms into a 0 instead of a 1, so that's it. I see why it works for all cases now, in hindsight it's obvious. Thanks!

1. What is the induced metric of a 2-sphere?

The induced metric of a 2-sphere is a way to measure distances on a curved surface, such as a sphere. It is derived from the intrinsic properties of the surface and is different from the standard Euclidean metric used in flat spaces.

2. How is the induced metric different from the Euclidean metric?

The induced metric takes into account the curvature of the 2-sphere, whereas the Euclidean metric assumes a flat surface. This means that the distances measured using the induced metric will be different from those measured using the Euclidean metric.

3. Why is i not equal to j in the induced metric of a 2-sphere?

This is because the induced metric is defined using the first fundamental form, which is a matrix of coefficients that describes the local geometry of the surface. The diagonal elements of this matrix, i.e. i and j, represent the scale factors in the two directions on the surface and are not necessarily equal due to the curvature of the 2-sphere.

4. Can the induced metric of a 2-sphere be used to measure distances on any curved surface?

No, the induced metric is specific to the 2-sphere and cannot be used to measure distances on other curved surfaces. This is because the first fundamental form and thus the induced metric are unique to each surface and are dependent on its intrinsic properties.

5. How is the induced metric of a 2-sphere calculated?

The induced metric is calculated using the first fundamental form, which is in turn derived from the surface's metric tensor. This involves taking partial derivatives of the surface's coordinate functions and combining them in a specific way to obtain the coefficients of the first fundamental form.