Need of transposed[i] = []; when we already have var transposed = []

• JavaScript
  • Thread starter shivajikobardan
  • Start date
In summary, the commented code in the given function is necessary because it initializes the transposed array, which is used to store the transposed matrix. Without this initialization, the transposed array would be undefined and attempting to set properties on it would result in an error. This code also helps to construct the matrix as an array of arrays.
shivajikobardan
TL;DR Summary
codewars kata confusion
What's the need of the commented code here?

JavaScript:
function transpose(matrix) {
  var transposed = [],
  rows = matrix.length,
  cols = matrix[0].length;
  for (i = 0; i < cols; i++) {
    // transposed[i] = [];
    for (var j = 0; j < rows; j++) {
      transposed[i][j] = matrix[j][i];
    }
  }
  console.log(transposed);
}
transpose([[1, 2, 3], [4, 5, 6]])

When that part is commented, it throws an error:
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot set properties of undefined (setting '0')

I'm trying to understand the need of it. Because we've already initialized
var transposed = [],

Last edited by a moderator:
Technology news on Phys.org
Do you understand how a matrix here is constructed as an array of arrays? You can also look in the loop body and ask yourself whattransposed[i][j]is supposed to mean iftransposed[i]is undefined (this is what gives the error you mention).

Edit: Writing[i]here without the code block is tricky because that is also notation for italics in posts. Took a few tries to figure out what was going on.

Likes pbuk

1. Why do we need to use "transposed[i] = []" when we already have "var transposed = []"?

The use of "transposed[i] = []" allows us to add new elements to the "transposed" array at specific indexes, while "var transposed = []" only creates an empty array. This is useful when we need to dynamically add elements to the array based on certain conditions or calculations.

2. Can't we just use "var transposed = []" to add elements to the array?

No, "var transposed = []" only initializes the array with empty brackets. In order to add elements at specific indexes, we need to use the "transposed[i] = []" syntax.

3. What does the "i" represent in "transposed[i] = []"?

The "i" represents the index of the array where we want to add the new element. This allows us to target specific indexes and add elements at those locations.

4. Is there a limit to how many elements we can add using "transposed[i] = []"?

No, there is no limit to the number of elements we can add using this syntax. As long as we specify a valid index, we can add as many elements as we need to the "transposed" array.

5. Can we use "transposed[i] = []" to add elements to arrays of different data types?

Yes, we can use this syntax to add elements to arrays of different data types, such as strings, numbers, or even other arrays. As long as the data type of the new element matches the data type of the array, we can add it using "transposed[i] = []".