Build a Car: How to Create a Self-Powered Vehicle with Everyday Materials

In summary: What do you think about using torsion power?In summary, the student was having difficulty understanding the physics homework and wanted to find a way to help him out. He found a design that uses torsion power and balloon propulsion.
gjensen01
I got an assignment in physics that is really hard for me, and I am having a lot of trouble even getting an idea. I am supposed to build a car that starts under its own power. I am allowed to have some sort of trigger device. If anyone has done this in the past or they know of links that could help me it would be greatly appreciated.
Regulations
1. No prefabricated wheels
2. No electrical/commercially available motors
3. Must be made from everday materials (no kit)
4. Must have two axles.
5. The propulsion mechanism must be internal (no slingshots or ramps)
6. No compressed gas, or explosive/flammable devices
7. If water is used, it must be contained and cannot spill on the floor.
Grading
Performance (30 points max)
10 points if it moves one car length (+ 1 point for additional 2 car lengths)
Fastest car: 1st=10 points 2nd=9 points, etc...
Greatest distance "
Lightest car "
Originality/theme/durability= ( 30 points max)

Physics news on Phys.org
You could use a mouse trap for the propulsion mechanism.

hk

Maybe you could try attaching some balloons to it. Fill the balloons with air and let the air out quickly, this would accelerate the car as long as it was light.
If you want to go with this, let me know and Ill try and find you a link to some pics of these cars, they did this for 3rd yr design in my dept.

Any links would be appreciated. So if there is a good car design that involves balloons that would definitely help me out.

I say use torsion power. Kinda like how those toys work whwere you put the car down and pull it backwards and you hear it crank up. Then you put it down and it drives off :D.

How would you go about building a torsion powered car?

gjensen01 said:
How would you go about building a torsion powered car?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I know how to make a catapult using torsion, that's it lol

Build the infamous mouse trap car. If you want to add some power, carefully remove one end of the metal bar that is stapled to the wood. Give the coiled spring on the trap an extra twist. fasten it back with an extra staple.

Nails make good axles. plastic buttons make good bushings for the nails. Tuna cans are good for wheels.

There is a good design here, but I encourage you to come up with your own, and have some fun with it.

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/tpaulk/webpage.htm

Rubberbands used in various configurations also work well.

Last edited by a moderator:
gjensen01 said:
Any links would be appreciated. So if there is a good car design that involves balloons that would definitely help me out.

Sorry, I just checked the website and it looks like photos were removed.

But try and think how you could attach balloons to a car made out of balsa wood or something. You could have several balloons that force air out of one small nozzle maybe?

Wouldn't ballons come fall under # 5, " no compressed gas"?

1. How do I start building a car?

To start building a car, you will need to have a clear idea of what type of car you want to build, as well as a budget and a plan. You will also need to have the necessary materials, tools, and knowledge of mechanics and engineering.

2. What materials do I need to build a car?

The materials you will need to build a car can vary depending on the type of car you want to make. However, some common materials include a frame, engine, transmission, wheels, tires, suspension parts, and body panels. You will also need tools such as wrenches, screwdrivers, and pliers.

3. How much does it cost to build a car?

The cost of building a car can vary greatly depending on the type of car you want to make and the quality of materials you use. On average, it can cost anywhere from $3,000 to $10,000 to build a basic car. However, more complex or high-end cars can cost upwards of $50,000 or more.

4. Can I build a car by myself?

It is possible to build a car by yourself, but it can be a difficult and time-consuming process. It is recommended to have some background in mechanics and engineering, as well as access to specialized tools and equipment. It may also be helpful to have a friend or professional assist you with certain aspects of the build.

5. How long does it take to build a car?

The time it takes to build a car can vary depending on the complexity of the build, your level of experience, and the availability of materials and resources. On average, it can take anywhere from 6 months to a year to build a car. However, more complex builds may take longer. It is important to have patience and allow yourself enough time to properly complete the build.