Resistance , current and temperature

In summary, the question posed is regarding the temperature change of a resistor after one hour of current flow. The answer to this question depends on the specific heat of the resistor material and the heat transfer properties of the system. A rough approximation can be made by converting watts to BTUs and using the specific heat of a material such as tungsten, but this may not be accurate due to the internal structure and coating of a resistor. Furthermore, convection may also affect the temperature rise, making it difficult to determine an exact answer without more information.
adool_617
i have a question and i will be glad if anyone could help

you know if a current flow in resistance , a power is consumed =(I^2)*R

and if this current flows for an hour , this will produce energy and it's quantity is watt*hour

my question is , if the temperature of the resistor was 20 degrees at the start ( time=zero)

after 1 hour what will be the temperature

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi adool_617, welcome to PF. The temperature depends on a couple important factors:

- The specific heat of the resistor material, which connects dissipated energy to temperature change.
- The heat transfer details of the system (conduction, convection, and radiation), which govern the rate that energy is removed from the resistor.

So more information is needed to answer the question.

I agree with the answer provided...that question is asked here regulalry,,,it's NOT simple...

for a really rough cut approximate answer you could convert watts to BTU's and if you know the specific heat of the resistor do a crude calculation...a kwh is about 3413 BTU's...
pick some specific heat fropm a physics book or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specific_heat#Table_of_specific_heat_capacities

Maybe use tungeston as a surrogate...

But the problem with this approach is that likely a resistor is an internal resistance material analogous to tungestion, coated with ceramic...and that will change the heat disipation characteristics, perhaps dramatically.

And once the resistor begins to heat, convection begins which slows subsequent temperature rise...just as if a fan were applied...

FAQ: Resistance , current and temperature

1. What is resistance?

Resistance is a measure of an object's or material's ability to resist the flow of electric current. It is measured in Ohms (Ω) and is dependent on the material, length, and cross-sectional area of the object.

2. How is resistance related to current?

Ohm's law states that the current through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance. This means that as resistance increases, current decreases, and vice versa.

3. What is the effect of temperature on resistance?

Temperature has a direct effect on resistance. In most materials, resistance increases as temperature increases. This is due to the fact that as temperature rises, the atoms in the material vibrate more, creating more obstacles for the flow of electric current.

4. How does temperature affect the flow of current?

As mentioned before, increasing temperature leads to an increase in resistance. This means that for a given voltage, the current will decrease as the temperature rises. On the other hand, decreasing temperature will lead to a decrease in resistance and an increase in current.

5. What is the unit of measurement for current?

The unit of measurement for electric current is the Ampere (A). This unit is a measure of the amount of electric charge flowing through a circuit per unit time. It is named after the French physicist André-Marie Ampère, who made significant contributions to the study of electromagnetism.