Find Magnitude of Vectors AB and BC in 2D Space | Vector Addition"

• Thread starter hahutzy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the equations for homework statement are:-The magnitude of (AB + BC) is equal to the magnitude of AC because the vector AC is the same as the vector you get from adding AB and BC.
hahutzy

Homework Statement

Given:
A (-3,7)
B (5,22)
C (8,18)
are 3 points in 2D space.

Find [itex]|\vec{AB} + \vec{BC}|[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]||\vec{v} - \vec{w}||^2 = ||\vec{v}||^2 + ||\vec{w}||^2 - 2 ||\vec{v}|| \cdot ||\vec{w}|| \cos \theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Isn't [itex]|\vec{AB} + \vec{BC}|[/tex] just [itex]|\vec{AB}| + |\vec{BC}|[/tex]? I mean, isn't the magnitude of the sum of 2 vectors the same as adding the 2 magnitudes together?

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw it out and see :smile:

I tried. What I'm confused about is the interpretation of [itex]|\vec{AB} + \vec{BC}|[/tex]

I mean, mathematically, I believe I can do this:
[itex]|\vec{AB} + \vec{BC}|[/tex] = [itex]|\vec{AC}|[/tex]
Because [itex]\vec{AB} + \vec{BC}[/tex] = [itex]\vec{AC}[/tex]

In which case, [itex]|\vec{AB} + \vec{BC}|[/tex] is intuitive.
But I might be getting myself confused

Lastly, my teacher insisted that the cosine law be used, and I have no idea why.

Edit: Disregard this post

Last edited:
So are you saying [itex]|\vec{AB} + \vec{BC}|[/tex] = [itex]|\vec{AC}|[/tex]?

If so, why does my teacher insist that I use the cosine law?

hahutzy said:
So are you saying [itex]|\vec{AB} + \vec{BC}|[/tex] = [itex]|\vec{AC}|[/tex]?

Oh wait wait, my bad, I didn't read those vectors correctly. Disregard my first post.

Yes, the magnitude of (AB + BC) is equal to the magnitude of AC because the vector AC is the same as the vector you get from adding AB and BC thus it has the same magnitude.

I still don't understand why I would need to use cosine law for this, as claimed by my teacher...

Unless I'm not seeing something, I don't see the need for it. Are you sure you aren't looking for |AC + BC|?

hahutzy said:
[itex]|\vec{AB} + \vec{BC}|[/tex] just [itex]|\vec{AB}| + |\vec{BC}|[/tex]

No but ][itex]|\vec{AB} + \vec{BC}|[/tex] and [itex]|\vec{AB}| + |\vec{BC}|[/tex] are related. Question: how?

[itex]
\vec{AB} + \vec{BC}= \vec{CA}
[/itex]

So, you need to find [itex]|\vec{-AC}|=|\vec{AC}|[/itex]

Regards.

What is the formula for finding the magnitude of a vector in 2D space?

The formula for finding the magnitude of a vector in 2D space is: √(x² + y²), where x and y represent the x and y components of the vector.

How do you find the magnitude of vector AB and BC using vector addition?

To find the magnitude of vector AB and BC, you first need to break down the vectors into their x and y components. Then, add the x components together and the y components together. Finally, use the formula √(x² + y²) to find the magnitude of the resulting vector.

Can the magnitude of a vector be negative?

No, the magnitude of a vector is always a positive value. It represents the length of the vector and therefore cannot be negative.

What is the significance of finding the magnitude of a vector in 2D space?

The magnitude of a vector in 2D space is important in understanding the direction and magnitude of motion or force. It can also be used to calculate the speed and acceleration of an object.

Are there any real-life applications of finding the magnitude of vectors in 2D space?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of finding the magnitude of vectors in 2D space. For example, it is used in navigation and mapping, physics and engineering, and in computer graphics and animation.