Is a Physics BS and MechE Master's Unattractive to Employers?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential implications of pursuing a job as a Mechanical Engineer without having a degree in engineering. It is mentioned that obtaining a Bachelor's in Physics and a Master's in MechE is a viable option, but it is also noted that most employers prefer candidates with an engineering degree. The speaker shares personal experience of a friend who followed this path and had success finding a job.
Fragment
As title states, does it make me unattractive for corporations if I am seeking any job as a MechE? Is this a common thing to do? (The nearby university does not have any engineering programs, and therefore I am torn between taking physics there and getting my master's somewhere else, or getting my engineering bachelor's from somewhere else and get 80K into debt.)

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you get a BS in Physics and an MS in MechE, you should be OK for the engineering job market. Naturally, most people hiring for an engineering job will want someone with an engineering degree, but people with a physics BS being hired as engineers is not uncommon. If you can get a BS Physics/MS Eng for less cost than a BS Eng, I would do it.

I have a friend who went that route and had no problems getting a job at a big engineering firm as soon as he graduated.

FAQ: Is a Physics BS and MechE Master's Unattractive to Employers?

1. What is the difference between a BS in Physics and a Masters in MechE?

A BS in Physics focuses on the fundamental principles of matter and energy, while a Masters in MechE is a specialized degree that combines principles of physics and engineering to design and develop mechanical systems. A BS in Physics provides a broader understanding of the physical world, while a Masters in MechE provides specific skills and knowledge in the field of mechanical engineering.

2. Can I pursue a Masters in MechE with a BS in Physics?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a Masters in MechE with a BS in Physics. However, some institutions may require additional coursework or prerequisites to bridge the gap between the two fields. It is important to research the requirements of specific programs to determine if a BS in Physics is a suitable background for a Masters in MechE.

3. What career opportunities are available with a BS in Physics and a Masters in MechE?

A BS in Physics can lead to various career opportunities in research, teaching, or technical roles in industries like aerospace, energy, or healthcare. A Masters in MechE can lead to careers in designing, developing, and testing mechanical systems in industries like automotive, manufacturing, or robotics. The combination of a BS in Physics and a Masters in MechE can open up opportunities for careers in fields that require a strong understanding of both physics and mechanical engineering principles.

4. How long does it take to complete a BS in Physics and a Masters in MechE?

The duration of a BS in Physics and a Masters in MechE can vary depending on the institution and the program's requirements. A BS in Physics typically takes four years to complete, while a Masters in MechE can take an additional one to two years. Some universities may offer accelerated programs that allow students to complete both degrees in a shorter time frame.

5. What skills and knowledge will I gain from a BS in Physics and a Masters in MechE?

With a BS in Physics, you will gain a strong foundation in scientific principles, critical thinking, problem-solving, and data analysis. A Masters in MechE will provide you with specialized knowledge in mechanical systems, design, and engineering principles, as well as practical skills in computer-aided design and data analysis. Overall, a combination of a BS in Physics and a Masters in MechE will equip you with a diverse set of skills and knowledge that are highly valued in various industries.