Aerospace and Physics double major? or Aerospace masters?

In summary, when considering a job as an aerospace engineer, it is recommended to pursue a Masters in aerospace engineering as it provides a more specialized skill set that employers are looking for. While a double major in aerospace engineering and physics is another option, it may not qualify for specialized positions in the field. Ultimately, the decision should be based on the type of job one is looking for.
unknown_9
If my goal job title were to be aerospace engineer, what would employer like more: Double major in aerospace engineering and physics, or a masters in aerospace engineering. The reason it is one or the other is I would only like to do only 4 years of school and I can complete a masters in four. Any advice would help. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just a guess, but I suspect those hiring entry-level aerospace engineers are looking for competent aerospace engineering graduates with an underlying skill set specific to the position. The rest are details.

Masters in aerospace, hands down. BS in physics doesn't qualify you for really anything.

Either route works but it depends on what kind of jobs you're looking for.
Physics grads are often hired in aerospace or defense to do more generalized work like system engineering or data analysis.
The aerospace degrees would help you get access or consideration for more specialized jobs.

Qurks said:
Masters in aerospace, hands down. BS in physics doesn't qualify you for really anything.

Oh look, unsubstantiated claims again, nothing to see here OP.

1. What is an Aerospace and Physics double major?

An Aerospace and Physics double major is a degree program that combines the study of aerospace engineering with the study of physics. This allows students to gain a deep understanding of the fundamental principles of physics while also learning how to apply these principles to the design and development of aircraft and spacecraft.

2. What career opportunities are available for someone with an Aerospace and Physics double major?

There are a variety of career opportunities available for someone with an Aerospace and Physics double major. These include roles in aerospace engineering, research and development, space exploration, and defense industries. Graduates can also pursue careers in academia or government agencies such as NASA.

3. Can I specialize in a specific area of aerospace or physics with this double major?

Yes, most programs allow students to choose a concentration within their double major. Some common concentrations for aerospace include aerodynamics, propulsion, and structures, while physics concentrations may include astrophysics, particle physics, or materials science.

4. What is the difference between an Aerospace and Physics double major and an Aerospace masters program?

An Aerospace and Physics double major is an undergraduate degree program that typically takes four years to complete, while an Aerospace masters program is a graduate degree program that typically takes two years to complete. The double major combines the two fields of study, while the masters program focuses specifically on advanced aerospace engineering concepts and research.

5. What skills and knowledge will I gain from an Aerospace and Physics double major?

Students who complete an Aerospace and Physics double major will gain a strong foundation in both fields, including knowledge of aerodynamics, mechanics, thermodynamics, and materials science. They will also develop skills in problem-solving, critical thinking, and data analysis, as well as hands-on experience with design and research projects.