Calculating Resultant Forces/Torques on Spinning System

In summary: This can be used to analyze a custom gear box used in a robotic joint, where gears are attached to a shaft using a pin. By determining the worst-case scenario, such as reversing directions or starting from rest, you can assess if and when the system would fail. However, incorporating angular momentum equations into the model may also be necessary for a more comprehensive analysis. In summary, to calculate the resultant forces and torques on a system previously spinning at a constant angular velocity, an equation of motion for angular motion can be used. This can be applied to analyze a custom gear box in a robotic joint and determine the worst-case scenario for potential failure. Additional equations, such as those involving angular momentum, may also need to be considered for a more thorough
eacousineau
How would I go about calculating the resultant forces / torques on a system if it's previously spinning at a constant angular velocity, but then an external torque is applied to it?

I would like to use this for some very basic analysis of a custom gear box used in a robotic joint. We attach gears to a shaft using a pin, and I just wanted to calculate the worst-case scenario, i.e. reversing directions or starting from rest, to see if / when it would fail.

I can calculate the moment of inertia of the system about its rotating axis, and we have the torques.
I am aware of angular momentum equations, but I do not know where to start as far as incorporating it into the model.

Physics news on Phys.org
To calculate the resultant forces and torques on a system that is spinning at a constant angular velocity, but then an external torque is applied, you can use the equation of motion for angular motion. This equation is written as: Iα = τext + τint Where I is the moment of inertia of the system, α is the angular acceleration, τext is the external torque, and τint is the internal torque. By solving this equation with the given values, you can determine the resultant forces and torques on the system. To calculate the worst-case scenario, you would need to calculate the moment of inertia of the system about its rotating axis, the external torque, and the internal torque.

1. How do I calculate the resultant force on a spinning system?

To calculate the resultant force on a spinning system, you need to first determine the individual forces acting on the system. These forces can include gravity, friction, and applied forces. Then, use vector addition to find the sum of these forces. The magnitude and direction of the resultant force will represent the overall force acting on the spinning system.

2. What is the difference between resultant force and net force?

The resultant force refers to the overall force acting on a system, taking into account all individual forces. Net force, on the other hand, refers to the total force acting on an object in a specific direction. For a spinning system, the resultant force will take into account all forces acting on the system, while the net force will only consider forces acting in the direction of the spin.

3. How do I calculate the resultant torque on a spinning system?

To calculate the resultant torque on a spinning system, you need to first determine the individual torques acting on the system. These torques can include gravitational torque, frictional torque, and applied torque. Then, use vector addition to find the sum of these torques. The magnitude and direction of the resultant torque will represent the overall torque acting on the spinning system.

4. What is the role of centrifugal force in calculating resultant forces on a spinning system?

Centrifugal force is an apparent force that is exerted on an object in a rotating reference frame. It is often used to explain the outward force experienced by objects in circular motion. In the context of a spinning system, the centrifugal force can be considered as an applied force and included in the calculation of resultant forces.

5. How does the direction of rotation affect the calculation of resultant forces on a spinning system?

The direction of rotation can affect the calculation of resultant forces on a spinning system because it determines the direction of the forces acting on the system. For example, if a system is rotating clockwise, the direction of the resultant force will also be clockwise. It is important to pay attention to the direction of rotation when calculating resultant forces and torques on a spinning system.