What Is IPS in Geiger Counter Measurements?

In summary, Rajini is looking for a conversion from counts per second to exposure rates in Sieverts per hour.
Rajini
Hallo friends,
I have some Geiger counter for detecting Gamma rays...By this meter one can measure in IPS (Intensity per second) or Siever/hour...Now i need to know What is this new unit IPS...Does anyone heard about it...or does it directly corresponds to the disintegrations per second (i.e.,decay per second)...Its better for me to know some formulas regarding this IPS..
thanks for your reply
Rajini

Physics news on Phys.org
"Intensity per second" doesn't make sense - I suspect it means detected counts per second.

No its Impulse per Second...i am sure about...its also given in the manual..Anyways..if u think its intensity per second..then can u give some relation about it...for e.g., converting IPS into Siever per hour...this will be helpful for me..
thanks again
Rajini

It depends what the meter face says. Most meter faces read in cpm (counts per minute) or some unit of exposure/dose per hour, but then, it all depends on your make and model number. There is no direct conversion from cpm to exposure rates that is uniform across all makes and models of survey meters. This is due to differences in efficiency/geomtery of the different makes and models.

actually my radioactive material with a initial activity of 1850 MBq (50 mCi)..so when we expose the counter directly over the radioactive material...what it will show in IPS or in sieverts per hr...or do u think this is mad question...

Impulse per second is the same as counts/sec.
Intensity / second doesn't make sense because intensity is already per second.
As daveb said you can't easily convert from cps to Sieverts unless the maker supplies a calibration.

Oh...thanks for the tip..so the manufacturer adopt some calibration conversion...for IPS into S/hr..so there is no relation for this conversion...

1. What is a Geiger counter?

A Geiger counter is a type of radiation detection device that measures the presence and intensity of ionizing radiation, such as alpha, beta, and gamma rays. It is commonly used in scientific research and in industries where radiation safety is a concern.

2. How does a Geiger counter work?

A Geiger counter works by using a gas-filled tube that is sensitive to ionizing radiation. When radiation enters the tube, it ionizes the gas particles, causing them to conduct electricity and produce a small electrical pulse. This pulse is then amplified and counted by the device, providing a measure of the radiation level.

3. What types of radiation can a Geiger counter detect?

A Geiger counter can detect alpha, beta, and gamma rays, which are all types of ionizing radiation. It can also detect X-rays, but it is less sensitive to them compared to other types of radiation.

4. Are there any limitations to using a Geiger counter?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a Geiger counter. It is only able to detect ionizing radiation, so it cannot detect non-ionizing radiation such as radio waves or microwaves. It also has a limited range and may not be able to detect low levels of radiation. Additionally, the type of radiation being detected may affect the accuracy of the measurements.

5. How should a Geiger counter be used safely?

To use a Geiger counter safely, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and wear appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves and a lab coat. The device should also be regularly calibrated to ensure accurate readings. When taking measurements, it is important to keep a safe distance from the radiation source and limit exposure time to reduce the risk of harmful effects.