Are Snakes & Worms Siblings? | Exploring the Differences

• Thread starter Deniel
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between snakes and worms, including their classification as vertebrates and invertebrates, their different characteristics, and the fact that they are not closely related. It also touches on the possibility of eating snake meat and the idea of snakes being associated with the devil.
Deniel
Can you tell me whether they are siblings ? But why one has two dangerous teeth while the other doesn't ? Why one is big and long but the other is small and shorter?
I saw very long and big worms when I was in Australia 4 years ago on a trip to a farm. They looked terrible.
I guess snakes, worms, and some of the fish like unagi--the one like best, very tasty--are friends and have the same parents, right ?

Thankyou

Biology news on Phys.org
Snakes and worms are not even closely related. Snakes are vertebrates (have a backbone) and reptiles while worms are invertebrates (no bones). There are a lot of differences between the two such as different circulatory systems, different nervous systems, different sensory organs.

Moonbear, have you ever seen anyone eating a snake ?
I heard from some of the students who are from Thailand say some people in their country use snakes'meat in their meals... True.

You could probably get snake meat in some of these resturants that advertise weird food. It's said to "taste like chicken".

you know, emu tastes like hotdog. just thought i'd add that in

Eating snake isn't that odd. I have a good deal of family living in the California desert, and they eat snake rather frequently.

Yep, I grew up in San Diego county, and I recall once on a boy scout camp out they threatened to serve snake to us. We all knew it was possible because we all knew someone who'd eaten it.

You know, some people attribute snakes to the devil. That's rather silly, when you consider the fact that these very people (who are christians) eat lamb (and Jesus is known as "the lamb of god").

you know, emu tastes like hotdog. just thought i'd add that in
You've tried it before? The most bizarre thing I've ever eaten is the tongue of a lamb (cooked). Really good stuff.

Moonbear said:
Snakes and worms are not even closely related. Snakes are vertebrates (have a backbone) and reptiles while worms are invertebrates (no bones). There are a lot of differences between the two such as different circulatory systems, different nervous systems, different sensory organs.

I think the vertebrate/non-vertebrate split was something like 500 to 550 million years ago (about 100 million years before there were any land animals at all). So the snake-worm common ancestor is probably even older than that.

As far a i know the only resemblance is in appearance.
A common ancester?
That would probably be the same as our ancester.

Related to Are Snakes & Worms Siblings? | Exploring the Differences

1. Are snakes and worms actually siblings?

No, snakes and worms are not actually siblings. While they may share some physical characteristics and belong to the same phylum (Chordata), they are different species with distinct evolutionary histories.

2. What are the main differences between snakes and worms?

Some of the main differences between snakes and worms include their physical appearance, habitat, and behavior. Snakes have elongated bodies with scales, while worms have segmented bodies with a smooth exterior. Snakes are typically found on land, while worms are commonly found in soil or water. Snakes are predators, while worms are detritivores (feeding on decaying organic matter).

3. Do snakes and worms share any similarities?

Yes, snakes and worms do share some similarities. As mentioned before, they both belong to the Chordata phylum and have elongated bodies. They also have a similar digestive system, with a mouth, esophagus, and anus. Additionally, both snakes and worms are cold-blooded animals and rely on their environment to regulate their body temperature.

4. Can snakes and worms mate and produce offspring?

No, snakes and worms cannot mate and produce offspring. They have different reproductive systems, and even if they were able to physically mate, their genetic makeup is too different to produce viable offspring.

5. Are snakes and worms important for the ecosystem?

Yes, both snakes and worms play important roles in their respective ecosystems. Snakes help control populations of rodents and other pests, while worms contribute to soil health and nutrient cycling. They both have a vital role in maintaining a balanced and healthy ecosystem.