Why Does a Longer or Thicker String Produce a Lower Note?

In summary, a shorter and tighter string has a higher frequency and therefore produces a higher note. This is due to the equation f =\frac{1}{\lambda} \sqrt{\frac{T}{\rho}}, where \lambda is the wavelength (and is fixed by the geometry of the instrument), T the tension in the string, and \rho is the mass density. A shorter and tighter string has a smaller wavelength and higher tension, resulting in a higher frequency and therefore a higher note.
1MileCrash
Why does a longer, or thicker string produce a lower note when plucked? What is it about the larger spring that causes a lesser energy output?

My common intuition says that a larger spring is harder to move and therefore will vibrate with lesser frequency, but I am not satisfied with that reason.

Physics news on Phys.org
A longer / thicker string vibrates at a lower frequency and so produces a lower note.

What do you mean "that causes a lesser energy output"? A spring can only output, at most, the same energy used to compress it. The larger the spring (larger in the 'thicker wire' sense), the more energy to compress it and so the more energy it outputs.

jarednjames said:
A longer / thicker string vibrates at a lower frequency and so produces a lower note.

Yes. My question is, why does a thicker string vibrate at a lower frequency?

I am also under the impression that a wave with a higher frequency carries more energy.

1MileCrash said:
I am also under the impression that a wave with a higher frequency carries more energy.

I'll start here for you, the energy of a wave is related to its amplitude, not frequency.

A good place for you to read up on the subject:

http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/waves/u10l2c.cfm
The amount of energy carried by a wave is related to the amplitude of the wave. A high energy wave is characterized by a high amplitude; a low energy wave is characterized by a low amplitude.
Putting a lot of energy into a transverse pulse will not affect the wavelength, the frequency or the speed of the pulse. The energy imparted to a pulse will only affect the amplitude of that pulse.

I see, so waves of equal amplitude but with wildy varying frequency are transporting the same amount of energy per time period?

1MileCrash said:
Why does a longer, or thicker string produce a lower note when plucked? What is it about the larger spring that causes a lesser energy output?

My common intuition says that a larger spring is harder to move and therefore will vibrate with lesser frequency, but I am not satisfied with that reason.

The frequency f produced by a stretched string is given by:

[tex]f =\frac{1}{\lambda} \sqrt{\frac{T}{\rho}}[/tex]

where [itex]\lambda[/itex] is the wavelength (and is fixed by the geometry of the instrument),T the tension in the string, and [itex]\rho[/itex] is the mass density (mass/length). A thicker string has a higher mass density.

So it's possible to tension a thicker string to have the same pitch as a thinner string, but that introduces other issues- stress on the attachment points, for example.

1MileCrash said:
I see, so waves of equal amplitude but with wildy varying frequency are transporting the same amount of energy per time period?

Correct.

Thanks guys. Andy, i can't see the equation on the mobile theme but i will be sure to check it out.

What characteristics of a wave ARE effected by frequency? Or is frequency more of an effect than a cause?

One slight enhancement...

Originally Posted by 1MileCrash View Post

Originally Posted by jarednjames View Post
I'll start here for you, the energy of a wave is related to its amplitude, not frequency.

The energy of a _mechanical_ wave is related to amplitude. You may have been thinking of electromagnetic waves where the energy is proportional to the frequency. But that's a different fettle of kish.

why is it that the shorter the string the higher the note?
why is a tighter string make a higher note?

893289004 said:
why is it that the shorter the string the higher the note?
why is a tighter string make a higher note?

This has been answered by Andy Resnick in post number 6.

What is the relationship between string length or thickness and the pitch of a note?

The pitch of a note is directly related to the length and thickness of a string. As the string becomes longer or thicker, the pitch of the note produced will become lower.

Why does a longer string produce a lower note?

When a string is plucked, it begins to vibrate at a certain frequency. The longer the string, the slower it vibrates, resulting in a lower pitch. This is because the wavelength of the sound produced is longer, which causes the sound waves to spread out and have a lower frequency.

How does the thickness of a string affect the pitch of a note?

The thickness of a string also affects the pitch of a note. Thicker strings are stiffer and vibrate at a slower frequency, producing a lower pitch. This is similar to how a longer string produces a lower note.

What other factors can affect the pitch of a note produced by a string?

In addition to length and thickness, the tension of the string and the material it is made of can also affect the pitch of a note. A higher tension or a denser material will result in a higher pitch, while a lower tension or a less dense material will result in a lower pitch.

Can a string's length or thickness be adjusted to produce different notes?

Yes, a string's length and thickness can be adjusted to produce different notes. This is the principle behind stringed instruments, where players can change the pitch of a note by pressing down on the strings to shorten their length or by using different strings of varying thickness.