Analyzing % Change in Power of a Battery

• Thread starter Brimley
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Battery
In summary: The percentage change in available power is estimated to be -4.15335%. This means that the substitution of the expanded metal grid has resulted in a decrease of 4.15335% in the available power of the battery. This can have a significant impact on the performance of the battery and should be taken into consideration when making similar changes in the future.
Brimley
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to do a simple percentage change formula to analyze the difference that a material change can have on a battery and would just like some advice as to whether or not I proceeded correctly.

Essentially, my reference text gives an example of a Battery whose cast lead electrode grid would be replaced with a pierced-and-expanded metal grid. It notes the following:

"In a nominally 12 V battery, 6 cells are connected in series and within each cell there are two lead electrodes."

It is noted that the substitution of the expanded metal grid will increase the resistance of each electrode from 0.17 mOhm (or 0.17 * 10-3 Ohm) to 0.3 mOhm (or 0.3 *10-3 Ohm). It says the the battery initially had an overall resistance of 6mOhm (or 6*10-3 Ohm) with the cast lead electrodes.

Objective: Estimate the % Change in Available Power

Here is the formula I used:

(Pnew - Pold)/(Pold) * 100% = %Change (where P is power)

Here are my procedure:

I treat this as a circuit problem:

VBattery = 12 V.
Rtotal-Old = 6 mOhm
Rterminal-A-Old = 0.17 mOhm
Rterminal-B-Old = 0.17 mOhm
Rinternal = Rtotal-Old - Rterminal-A-Old - Rterminal-B-Old = 6-(0.17+0.17) = 5.66 mOhm

Iold = VBattery / Rtotal-Old = 12 V / 6 mOhm = 2000 A
Pold = (Iold2)*Rtotal-Old = (20002 A2) (6 mOhm) = 24000 W

Rterminal-A-New = 0.3 mOhm
Rterminal-B-New = 0.3 mOhm
Rtotal-New = Rinternal + Rterminal-A-New + Rterminal-B-New = 5.66+0.3+0.3 = 6.26 mOhm
Inew = VBattery / Rtotal-New = 12 V/ 6.26 mOhm = 1916.93 A
Pnew = (Inew2)*Rtotal-New = (1916.932 A2)(6.26 mOhm) = 23003.2 W

%Change = 100%*(Pnew - Pold)/(Pold) = 100 * (23003.2 - 24000)/(24000) = -4.15335 %

Final Answer: %Change = -4.15335 %

Does this procedure seem correct? Can anyone verify this answer?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
</code>Yes, your procedure seems correct. The answer you have obtained is also correct as per the given data.

1. What is the purpose of analyzing the % change in power of a battery?

The purpose of analyzing the % change in power of a battery is to determine the efficiency and performance of the battery over time. By measuring the change in power, we can understand how the battery is affected by various factors such as usage, temperature, and age.

2. How is % change in power calculated for a battery?

The % change in power of a battery is calculated by taking the difference between the starting power and ending power, dividing it by the starting power, and then multiplying by 100. The resulting number represents the percentage change in power.

3. What factors can affect the % change in power of a battery?

There are several factors that can affect the % change in power of a battery, including usage patterns, temperature, age, and type of battery. For example, frequent charging and discharging can lead to a higher % change in power, while extreme temperatures can decrease the battery's overall performance.

4. How can analyzing % change in power help improve battery performance?

By analyzing the % change in power of a battery, we can identify any issues or patterns that may be affecting the battery's performance. This information can then be used to make improvements in the design or usage of the battery, leading to better overall performance and efficiency.

5. Is it necessary to analyze % change in power for all types of batteries?

Yes, it is important to analyze the % change in power for all types of batteries, as it provides valuable information about the battery's performance and longevity. Different types of batteries may have different optimal usage patterns, and analyzing the % change in power can help determine the best practices for each type of battery.

Back