Solving an Algebraic Headache: Proving Kt+1 = 1.15 * K

• Thread starter Flummoxed
  • Start date
In summary, the given equations are used to prove that Kt+1 = 1.15 * Kt, with a typo corrected from the original sheet, which should read Kt+1 = 1.15 * Kt instead of Kt+1 = 1.15 * K. The equation can be solved by substituting in known values and using the given equations to manipulate the variables.
Flummoxed
I have an algebra problem which is giving me headaches.

Lt = St
Lt = Kt+1 - Kt
St = s * Yt
Kt = k * Yt

K0 = 200, s = 0.3, k = 2

Prove that Kt+1 = 1.15 * K

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Flummoxed said:
Lt = St
Lt = Kt+1 - Kt
St = s * Yt
Kt = k * Yt
K0 = 200, s = 0.3, k = 2
Thanks.

Now I'm not sure if this is correct, but I started off by subsituting in the known values.

Lt = St
Lt = Kt+1 - Kt
St = 0.3 * Yt
Kt = 2 * Yt

-----------------

Lt = St
Lt = Kt+1 - Kt
St = 0.3 * (0.5 * Kt)
0.5 * Kt = Yt

Flummoxed said:
Lt = St
Lt = Kt+1 - Kt
St = s * Yt
Kt = k * Yt
K0 = 200, s = 0.3, k = 2
Thanks.

Since the very first equations says Lt= St, you can simplify slightly by writing that third equation as Lt= 0.3Yt. You now have 3 equations:
Lt= Kt+1- Kt
Lt= s Yt
Kt= k Yt

Also, You say you want to prove "Kt+1= 1.15*K" which makes no sense. I imagine it must be either "Kt+1= 1.15*k" or "Kt+1= 1.15*Kt". I suspect it is the latter.

Since, however, you want Kt+1= something, I suggest rewriting that first equation as Kt+1= Lt + Kt (add Kt to both sides). Now, it looks to me like you just need to replace that Lt with something!

You know that Lt= sYt. do you see that Yt= (1/k) Kt? That should make it clear!

Last edited by a moderator:
The sheet I was given says "Prove that Kt+1 = 1.15 x K" with the K in upper case.

Flummoxed said:
The sheet I was given says "Prove that Kt+1 = 1.15 x K" with the K in upper case.
I think that's a little typo. The sheet should read:
Kt + 1 = 1.15 Kt.
---------------
You can follow HallsofIvy's post, and you'll soon arrive at the answer,
or you may also want to try a slightly different way:
St = Lt
<=> s Yt = Kt + 1 - Kt.
What's Kt + 1? What's Kt?
Can you go from here?

I have also been able to confirm that the equation:

Kt+1 = 1.15 * K

should read:

Kt+1 = 1.15 * Kt

From the help that HallsofIvy and VietDao29 provided, you should come to the answer.

I came to the answer a different way, but want to find out if you can use their help before I make another post.

What is an Algebraic Headache?

An Algebraic Headache is a common term used to describe a difficult or challenging algebraic problem that requires a lot of time and effort to solve. These types of problems often involve complex equations or expressions that require multiple steps to solve.

What does "Kt+1 = 1.15 * K" mean?

This equation is a representation of a mathematical relationship between two variables, Kt and K. The "t+1" and "1.15" represent the time and growth rate, respectively. This equation is commonly used in finance and economics to model exponential growth.

Why is it important to prove Kt+1 = 1.15 * K?

Proving this equation is important because it allows us to understand and accurately predict the growth of a particular variable. This can be useful in various fields such as finance, economics, and science. It also helps us to verify the validity of our calculations and ensure the accuracy of our results.

What are the steps to solving this algebraic headache?

To solve this equation, we need to manipulate it using algebraic principles such as the distributive property and combining like terms. We can also use substitution and solving for a specific variable to simplify the equation. The ultimate goal is to isolate the variable K on one side of the equation, which will prove the relationship between Kt+1 and K.

Are there any tips or tricks for solving this type of problem?

Yes, there are a few tips and tricks that can make solving algebraic headaches easier. Firstly, it is important to carefully read and understand the given equation before attempting to solve it. Secondly, use proper notation and clearly label each step to avoid confusion. Additionally, it can be helpful to break the problem into smaller, more manageable steps. And finally, always check your work for accuracy and double-check your solution.