In what sense can Reuter QEG have a minimal length?

• Thread starter marcus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Length
In summary, Jal has brought attention to a paper by Reuter and Schwindt on the possibility of a minimal length emerging from asymptotically safe Quantum Einstein Gravity. This paper discusses the relationship between the infrared cutoff in the effective average action and the coarse graining scale, and explores the idea that QEG could generate a minimal length scale dynamically. However, there is skepticism about this concept and further research is needed to fully understand its implications.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Jal has called attention to this paper of Reuter and Schwindt

http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0511021
A Minimal Length from the Cutoff Modes in Asymptotically Safe Quantum Gravity
Martin Reuter, Jan-Markus Schwindt
(Submitted on 2 Nov 2005)

"Within asymptotically safe Quantum Einstein Gravity (QEG), the quantum 4-sphere is discussed as a specific example of a fractal spacetime manifold. The relation between the infrared cutoff built into the effective average action and the corresponding coarse graining scale is investigated. Analyzing the properties of the pertinent cutoff modes, the possibility that QEG generates a minimal length scale dynamically is explored. While there exists no minimal proper length, the QEG sphere appears to be 'fuzzy' in the sense that there is a minimal angular separation below which two points cannot be resolved by the cutoff modes."

You may have a different viewpoint on this. From my perspecitve, the general background for this is that a very interesting quantum theory of spacetime (geometry and matter) could come from the convergence of several quantum geometric approaches

LQG, Reuter QED, CDT, Spinfoam, Groupfieldtheory.

Of these AFAIK only LQG has a minimal length. Also as far as I know all these approaches start with a distanceless CONTINUUM---a smooth 4D differentiable manifold on which there is no pre-established metric distance-function.
This is because they are all children of Einstein GR, which is built on a smooth distanceless continuum where the metric function is not pre-established but instead grows out of the situation.

If these approaches were to converge there would be the issue of a minimal length. Notice that only LQG has it. Also notice that in LQG the minimal length is not necessarily implemented IN THE FABRIC, logically all one can say is that it's a limitation on THE BUSINESS OF MEASUREMENT that emerges from the theory. E.g. you can't measure area and get a smaller answer than such and such because the spectrum of the quantum observable, when it is calculated, turns out to have a smallest nonzero eigen-number. An area operator (called an "observable") corresponds to the act of measuring the area of something. In all kinds of Quantum Mechanics there is this tantalizing interplay between measurement and reality---we aren't going to resolve that here.

If there is going to be a convergence of approaches then we should educate ourselves about either possibility. On the one hand, it could turn out that somehow there was some mistake and LQG does not after all have a minimal length: then it would agree with the others. Or on the other hand it could turn out that some of the other approaches, e.g. Reuter QEG, unexpectedly HAVE a minimal length. or anyway "kind of".
So maybe we should study this Reuter Schwindt paper just in case it is right and there is (unexpectedly) a kind of minimal length measurement in QEG. Again I should stress that this could be merely a constraint ON THE BUSINESS OF MEASUREMENT and it might not be implemented in some ultimate reality presumed to have absolute existence.
================================

OK AFTER THAT LONG BUILD-UP I finally read the paper and it doesn't work for me! Isnt that a letdown? :biggrin:

Maybe someone else will take a look at it and come up with another take. But at present I don't understand how QEG can yield a minimum length
as i understand one.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for bringing this paper to our attention, Jal. I am always interested in exploring new ideas and theories, and this paper certainly presents some intriguing concepts.

I agree with your assessment that a convergence of different quantum geometric approaches would be a significant development in our understanding of spacetime. However, I also share your skepticism about the idea of a minimal length emerging from QEG.

Upon reading the paper, I also struggled to see how QEG could yield a minimum length in the traditional sense. The authors seem to be suggesting that the cutoff modes in QEG, which are related to the infrared cutoff built into the effective average action, could somehow impose a minimum angular separation on the quantum 4-sphere. But as you pointed out, this would only be a limitation on the business of measurement, rather than a fundamental property of spacetime itself.

I believe further research and exploration is needed to fully understand the implications of this paper and its potential impact on our current understanding of spacetime. Perhaps there are alternative interpretations or explanations that could shed more light on the concept of a minimum length in QEG.

In any case, I appreciate your perspective and your call to continue studying and considering this topic. As scientists, it is important for us to remain open-minded and continue exploring new ideas and theories, even if they may challenge our current understanding. Thank you for sharing this paper with us.

A minimum length is something that is built into the fabric of space and limits the smallest possible distance between two points. It is a fundamental property of space itself, not just a limitation on measurement.

In this paper, Reuter and Schwindt propose that within the framework of asymptotically safe QEG, there is a possibility of a minimal length emerging from the behavior of the cutoff modes. However, this is not a fundamental property of the fabric of space, but rather a limitation on the resolution of points by the cutoff modes. In other words, it is a limitation on measurement, not a fundamental property of space itself.

Furthermore, the paper does not offer a clear explanation of how this minimal length would manifest in the theory or how it would affect the predictions of QEG. Without a clear understanding of the implications of this proposed minimal length, it is difficult to fully assess its significance within the framework of QEG.

In conclusion, while this paper presents an interesting idea, it does not provide a solid basis for claiming that QEG has a minimal length in the same sense as LQG. Further research and analysis is needed to fully understand the potential implications of this proposed minimal length within the context of QEG.

1. What is the Reuter QEG and why is it important to understand its minimal length?

The Reuter QEG (Quantum Energy Generator) is a proposed device that aims to generate free energy using principles of quantum mechanics. Its minimal length is a crucial aspect to consider because it affects the efficiency and functionality of the device.

2. What is the significance of having a minimal length in the Reuter QEG?

The minimal length in the Reuter QEG is significant because it determines the smallest distance that the device can operate at. This is important because it affects the precision and accuracy of the energy generation process.

3. How is the minimal length of the Reuter QEG determined?

The minimal length of the Reuter QEG is determined by the size and arrangement of its components, such as the coils and capacitors. It is also influenced by the materials used and the design of the device.

4. Can the minimal length of the Reuter QEG be manipulated or changed?

Yes, the minimal length of the Reuter QEG can be manipulated or changed by altering the design and components of the device. However, this must be done carefully to ensure that the device continues to function effectively.

5. How does the minimal length affect the overall performance of the Reuter QEG?

The minimal length of the Reuter QEG plays a crucial role in its overall performance. A shorter minimal length generally results in a more efficient and powerful energy generation process, while a longer minimal length may lead to lower efficiency and output.