Hydraulics and the darcy weisbach formula

In summary, the conversation discusses a question from a hydraulics student about determining the diameter of a steel pipe for conveying oil. The student is required to use the Moody diagram and Darcy-Weisbach equation. The professor suggests using an energy balance (Bernoulli equation) and iteration to find the required pipe diameter. A step by step approach is suggested, including using Bernoulli to estimate the flow rate and iterating between calculating the Reynolds number and friction factor until the answer converges. The conversation also references equations 15 and 16 on page 14 of an attached document for further guidance.
daiv
I am a hydraulics student and have a question, hoping someone here could help me out. In my specific assignment i am required to determine D of a pipe without the friction factor using moody diagram and the darcy-weisbach equation.

here is the exact question:
A steel pipe (e=0.065mm) 4200m long is to convey oil (kinematic viscosity=5.2x10^-5 m/s^2) at 300 L/s from a resevior with surface elev. 247m to one with surface elev 156m. Theoretically, what pipe diameter size is required?

All the prof says is Iteration is required to find pipe diameter.

Any thoughts? anybody?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Write an energy balance (Bernoulli equation). The driving head (the difference in elevation from one end to the other) creates a flow rate (velocity) that results in friction pressure loss that balances the driving head. So, you have to guess a flowrate and iterate. Does that make sense?

I would probably do the same as gmax137 suggested.

My step by step approach would be1) Use Bernoulli to get an estimate of Q (ie Q if there was no friction in the system)
2)from the estimate of Q, find your Re and hence get a value for f
3)calculate a new Q and continue to iterate between (2) and (3) until your answer converges.

Elbarto

See page 14 (equations 15 and 16) on the attached.
Q_Goest said:
link.
(click on the link to my post to find the attachment "Pipe-Flo Pro.pdf"

Last edited:

1. What is the Darcy-Weisbach formula?

The Darcy-Weisbach formula is a widely used empirical equation used in fluid mechanics to calculate the pressure drop of a fluid flowing through a pipe. It takes into account factors such as the pipe material, diameter, roughness, and flow velocity to determine the frictional losses in the system.

2. How is the Darcy-Weisbach formula derived?

The Darcy-Weisbach formula is derived from the energy equation, which states that the total energy in a fluid system remains constant. It is based on the principle of conservation of energy and is a result of experimental observations and mathematical calculations.

3. What is the significance of the Darcy-Weisbach formula in hydraulic engineering?

The Darcy-Weisbach formula is an essential tool for hydraulic engineers as it allows for accurate calculation of pressure drop in pipes, which is crucial for designing and analyzing fluid systems. It is also used in various applications such as designing water supply networks, piping systems, and sewage systems.

4. How does the Darcy-Weisbach formula account for fluid properties?

The Darcy-Weisbach formula takes into account the properties of the fluid, such as density and viscosity, through the use of the friction factor. This factor is dependent on the type of fluid and its flow conditions and is used to calculate the frictional losses in the system.

5. Can the Darcy-Weisbach formula be used for all types of fluids?

Yes, the Darcy-Weisbach formula can be used for all types of fluids, including liquids and gases. However, it is most commonly used for incompressible fluids such as water and oil. For compressible fluids, other equations such as the Colebrook-White equation may be more appropriate.