Velocity and Acceleration of the Center of Mass?

In summary: So you should write the kinetic energy equations for each point of the chain and add them up. The distance between two points of the chain is dx.In summary, we are given a uniform flexible chain with a mass of 7 kg and a length of 5 m, as well as a small frictionless pulley. The problem is to find the acceleration and velocity of the chain when one end is 3.8 m from the pulley's axle. Using equations for center of mass and sum of forces, the acceleration of each piece of the chain can be found, but finding the acceleration and velocity of the chain as a whole is more complex as the mass distribution continuously changes during its motion. Equations for kinetic energy at each point of
Scarlitt14

Homework Statement

Given: g=9.8 m/ss
Given: A uniform flexible chain whose mass is 7 kg and length is 5 m.
Given: A small frictionless pulley whose circumference is negligible compared to the length of the chain.

Problem: Initially the chain is hung over the pulley with nearly equal lengths of both side but just unequal enough so that the unstable equilibrium condition will let the chain start to move. After some time, the longer end of the chain is a distance l=3.8m down from the pulley's axle. Find the acceleration aof the chain when the chain is at this position. Find the velocity v of the chain when l=3.8 m.

Homework Equations

ycm=[tex]\frac{y_{1}m_{1}+y_{2}m_{2}}{m_{total}}[/tex]

[tex]\sum[/tex][tex]\vec{F}[/tex]=m[tex]\vec{a}[/tex]

[tex]\vec{a}[/tex]cm=[tex]\frac{1}{M}[/tex][tex]\sum[/tex]mi[tex]\vec{a}[/tex]i=[tex]\sum[/tex][tex]\vec{F}[/tex]

[tex]\vec{v}[/tex]cm=[tex]\frac{1}{M}[/tex][tex]\sum[/tex]mi[tex]\vec{v}[/tex]i=[tex]\sum[/tex][tex]\vec{F}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've attempted this problem in a half a dozen different ways. I used the above equations, I realigned my axes to the pulley and to the bottom of the system, I drew free body diagrams for each side separately and the system as a whole, I even used kinematics to find the time to travel the given distance (Why? I'm not quite sure!) I don't know what other methods to use. I'm just hoping that its not something silly like I miscalculated my center of mass!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
At 3.8 m, take m1 as (M/L)*3.8, where M is the total mass and L is the total length. Similarly find m2. Taking same tension on either side of the chain, find the acceleration. It is the same on either side.

I used the mass density (M/L) in both my center of mass equations and the sum of forces. I'm able to find the acceleration for each piece of the chain, however, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to find the acceleration of the chain as a whole (acceleration of the center of mass I think). Same thing with velocity, I can find the individual velocities but not for the center of mass.

In the rigid body you can find the center of mass. In the chain mass distribution continuously changes during its motion.

1. What is the difference between velocity and acceleration of the center of mass?

Velocity of the center of mass is the rate of change of the position of the center of mass, while acceleration of the center of mass is the rate of change of the velocity of the center of mass.

2. How is the center of mass related to velocity and acceleration?

The center of mass is the point where the total mass of an object or system can be considered to be concentrated. Velocity and acceleration of the center of mass are directly related to the motion of the object or system as a whole.

3. Can the center of mass have a negative velocity or acceleration?

Yes, the center of mass can have a negative velocity or acceleration if the object or system is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction chosen for the coordinate system.

4. How is the velocity and acceleration of the center of mass calculated for a system of particles?

To calculate the velocity of the center of mass, the individual velocities of each particle are multiplied by their respective masses and then divided by the total mass of the system. Similarly, to calculate the acceleration of the center of mass, the individual accelerations of each particle are multiplied by their respective masses and then divided by the total mass of the system.

5. What factors affect the velocity and acceleration of the center of mass?

The velocity and acceleration of the center of mass are affected by the forces acting on the object or system, as well as the distribution of mass. In addition, external forces such as friction and air resistance can also impact the velocity and acceleration of the center of mass.