Projection motion on a slope; f angles that will provide the greastest range

In summary, the boy must angle the rock thrown from himself at a 15 degree angle from the horizontal in order to throw it the farthest.
sarah08

Homework Statement

A boy is standing on the peak of a hill (downhill), and throws a rock, at what angle from himself to the horizontal should he throw the rock in order for it to travel the greatest distance.
Answer clues:
1. if, the angle from the slope to the horizontal = 60, then the angle from the horizontal to the boy =15
2. the angle is not 45 degrees

Homework Equations

vf^2 = vo^2 + 2ad
sin2(theta) = 1
cos^2(theta) + sin^2(theta) = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve this by changing the axis so that the slope is the x axis, and then solving using the first kinematic equation above, i finally ended up solving for vo, which was ( 1+ 2cos(theta) + sin 2(theta) )/2...i doubt that is right though, I just don't know how to put all of this together!
some help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Sarah, welcome to the Physics Forum!
Interesting problem, but I can't wrap my mind around this
the angle from the horizontal to the boy =15
This makes no sense to me - could there be a typo?

no its not a typo..there are two unknown angles, and the clue was that the slope of the hill, or the angle from the slope to the horizontal is 60, then, the angle above that, or the angle between the boy and the horizontal would be 15...i attached a little drawing i made, hope that helps!

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 358
I think I solved it. Tough problem. I created 4 equations. The first too were just the x and y positions. The next was for the total distance using the Pythagorean theorem. The final was from realizing that when the object will land, it's ratio of y to x pos will be equal to the tan of the slope (draw a picture).
After that it just takes a whole lot of manipulation so that you can finally take the derivative and set that equal to zero.

could you post the four equations you came up with, and i can try to manipulate them myself and see if i can do it?
thank youu

[tex] x = v_ocos\theta _2 t [/tex]
[tex] y = v_osin\theta _2 t -\frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]
[tex]d=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/tex]
[tex]tan\theta _1 = y/x[/tex]
Manipulation + derivation is a long process. ><

do you think it would be easier to solve if you tilted the axis so the x-axis is parallel to the slope?

1. What is projection motion on a slope?

Projection motion on a slope refers to the movement of an object that is projected at an angle on a sloped surface. The object will follow a curved path due to the combination of its horizontal and vertical velocities.

2. How is the range of a projectile affected by the angle of projection on a slope?

The range of a projectile on a slope is affected by the angle of projection in that the greater the angle, the greater the range. This is because a higher angle will result in a larger horizontal velocity, which will lead to a longer horizontal distance traveled.

3. What is the optimal angle for maximum range on a slope?

The optimal angle for maximum range on a slope is 45 degrees. This is because at this angle, the horizontal and vertical components of the velocity are equal, resulting in the maximum possible range for a given initial velocity.

4. How does the slope of the surface affect the range of a projectile?

The slope of the surface will affect the range of a projectile in that a steeper slope will result in a shorter range and a shallower slope will result in a longer range. This is because the slope will affect the vertical component of the velocity, which in turn will affect the vertical distance traveled by the object.

5. What are some real-world applications of projection motion on a slope?

Some real-world applications of projection motion on a slope include sports such as skiing, snowboarding, and skateboarding, where objects are projected at different angles on sloped surfaces. It is also used in engineering and construction to determine the optimal angle for launching objects, such as rockets or vehicles, on a sloped surface.