Proving the limit (epsilon delta) #3

For now, you should just write out all the steps.(And of course, once you have all the steps written out, you need to convince yourself that they are all correct.)In summary, the conversation discussed the process of proving a limit using the formal e-d definition. The person working on the problem started by choosing a value for d and then worked backwards to try to find something that would ensure the desired outcome. They were reminded to make sure all values are positive and pointed out an error in their translation from limit to e-d. To complete the proof, they need to show that if 0 < x - 8 < e^2 + 6e, then 0 < sqrt(x+1) - 3 < e
zeion

Homework Statement

Prove the following states directly using the formal e, d definition

[tex]
\lim_{x\rightarrow 8} \sqrt{x + 1} = 3
[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If 0 < |x-8| < d
Then 0 < sqrt((x+1) - 3) < e

Let e be given
3 < sqrt(x+1) < e + 3
9 < x + 1 < e2 + 6e + 9
0 < x - 8 < e2 + 6e

This suggests we choose d = e2 + 6e

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you want comments on your work? I have three, of varying degrees of importance.

1. The work you've done here is "working backwards" -- you've started with what you wanted to happen, and worked backwards to try and find something that would ensure it.

Now, what you want to do is to show that this choice of d really does do what you want it to do.

2. When you did this step:
3 < sqrt(x+1) < e + 3
9 < x + 1 < e2 + 6e + 9
did you remember to make sure everything was positive? A relevant law of arithmetic is
If 0 < a < b then a² < b²​

3. Your translation from limit to e-d has an error.

Hurkyl said:
did you remember to make sure everything was positive? A relevant law of arithmetic is
If 0 < a < b then a² < b²​

3 < sqrt(x+1) < e + 3
9 < x + 1 < e2 + 6e + 9

Does this mean I need to show that sqrt(x+1) and e + 3 are positive?

Hurkyl said:
3. Your translation from limit to e-d has an error.

Are you talking about the sqrt((x+1) - 3)? It should be sqrt(x+1) + 3?

zeion said:
3 < sqrt(x+1) < e + 3
9 < x + 1 < e2 + 6e + 9

Does this mean I need to show that sqrt(x+1) and e + 3 are positive?
And 3. (But notice that if you can show 3 is positive, then it's very easy to show the other two are positive)

It's obvious enough in this case that you don't need to bother mentioning it in your work -- but I want to make sure that you know what you're doing when you apply steps like this.

Are you talking about the sqrt((x+1) - 3)? It should be sqrt(x+1) + 3?
"sqrt(x+1) - 3", actually.

Hurkyl said:
"sqrt(x+1) - 3", actually.

Yes I meant that sorry.

Hurkyl said:
Now, what you want to do is to show that this choice of d really does do what you want it to do.

So now I need to show that
if 0 < x - 8 < e^2 + 6e
then 0 < sqrt((x+1) - 3) < e
is true?

zeion said:
So now I need to show that
if 0 < x - 8 < e^2 + 6e
then 0 < sqrt((x+1) - 3) < e
is true?
(did you mean "|x-8|"?)

If you are still interested in finishing the e-d problem you originally wrote down, then yes that is what you need to do.

Sometimes it's possible to argue that all of your scratch work is reversible -- but it's probably not worth trying to do so until you become very comfortable with doing these arithmetic proofs involving inequalities.

1. What is the purpose of proving the limit using epsilon delta?

The purpose of proving the limit using epsilon delta is to rigorously and precisely determine the behavior of a function near a given input value. This allows us to determine the exact value that a function approaches as the input approaches a specific value, rather than just making an estimation or approximation.

2. How does the epsilon delta method work?

The epsilon delta method involves using two variables, epsilon and delta, to create a "window" around a given input value. The window represents a range of values for the input, and the goal is to show that the output of the function always falls within this window. If this can be proven, it demonstrates that the function approaches a specific value as the input approaches the given value.

3. What is the significance of the epsilon and delta variables in this method?

The epsilon and delta variables represent the precision and accuracy of the limit being proven. Epsilon represents the precision, or how close the output of the function must be to the limit value. Delta represents the accuracy, or how close the input must be to the given value. Together, these variables allow us to specify exactly how close the function must get to the limit value, making the proof more rigorous.

4. Can the epsilon delta method be used for all functions?

No, the epsilon delta method can only be used for continuous functions. A function is continuous if it has no abrupt changes or gaps in its graph. This ensures that as the input approaches a certain value, the output also approaches a specific value. If a function is not continuous, the epsilon delta method cannot be used to prove its limit.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using the epsilon delta method?

One limitation of the epsilon delta method is that it can be time-consuming and tedious, especially for more complex functions. It also requires a solid understanding of algebra and calculus concepts. Additionally, the method may not work for certain functions, such as those with vertical asymptotes or discontinuities. In these cases, alternative methods may need to be used to prove the limit.