Load Displacement to stress strain

In summary, the individual is trying to create a stress-strain curve from given tensile data including displacement, load, width, thickness, gauge length, and cross-head speed. They have calculated the cross-sectional area, stress, and strain, but are unsure if their results make sense. They are advised to compare their results with independent sources such as www.matweb.com for PVC material specifications.
8-)
Hello, so here is my problem.

Homework Statement

I am given tensile data, which is displacement (mm) and load (kgf). also I am given width(mm), thickness(mm), gauge length (mm) and cross-head speed (mm/min). How do i make a stress strain curve from this?

The Attempt at a Solution

So far i have multiplied width by thickness to find cross sectional area (in metres squared). Then i divide load (kgf) *9.8/cross sectional area (m^2) to find stress. and displacement (metres) over gauge length (metres) to find strain. I am getting around 65,000,000 pascals for maximum stress at around 40% strain. its for PVC. does that make sense?

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
not compared with steel whose weakest strength would be around 250,000 pascals. (Check this yourself from some independent source)

Yeah it seemed off, where am i messing up?

If you search www.matweb.com for PVC, and read the material specs carefully, you may find data to compare with your results.

Hello, thank you for reaching out about your problem. It seems like you are on the right track in creating a stress-strain curve from the given data. The method you described is commonly used to calculate stress and strain from load and displacement data in tensile testing. However, it is important to note that the resulting stress-strain curve may not be entirely accurate due to the limitations of the data provided. For example, the cross-head speed may affect the accuracy of the results, as well as any potential errors in measuring the dimensions of the sample. Additionally, the properties of PVC may vary depending on the specific composition and manufacturing process. It may be helpful to compare your results with published data on PVC stress-strain curves to ensure accuracy. Overall, your approach seems reasonable and it is important to consider the limitations and potential sources of error in your analysis. I hope this helps and good luck with your project!

1. What is load displacement to stress strain?

Load displacement to stress strain is a measure of the relationship between the amount of load placed on a material and the resulting change in its shape or displacement. It is often used to analyze the mechanical behavior of materials under different loads.

2. How is load displacement to stress strain measured?

Load displacement to stress strain is typically measured using a tensile testing machine, which applies a load to a material and measures the resulting displacement. The data is then used to calculate stress (load divided by cross-sectional area) and strain (displacement divided by original length).

3. What is the significance of load displacement to stress strain?

The relationship between load displacement and stress strain is important in understanding the mechanical properties and behavior of materials. It can help predict how a material will behave under different loads and conditions, and is crucial in engineering design and materials selection.

4. What factors can affect the load displacement to stress strain curve?

The load displacement to stress strain curve can be affected by various factors, including the type of material, its composition and microstructure, temperature, and loading rate. External factors such as surface roughness, defects, and environmental conditions can also influence the curve.

5. How is load displacement to stress strain used in material testing?

Load displacement to stress strain data is often used in material testing to determine the strength, ductility, and other mechanical properties of a material. It can also be used to assess the quality and reliability of a material, and to compare different materials under the same conditions.